Please help- CRITTER UPDATE

damummis

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just got 2 new goats yesterday and one is pooping normal, the other has diarrhea. I gave her warm water with salt, baking soda and honey, so far and milked her. What else can I do? Please help I am very concerned, being a new goat mommy and all.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
damummis said:
I just got 2 new goats yesterday and one is pooping normal, the other has diarrhea. I gave her warm water with salt, baking soda and honey, so far and milked her. What else can I do? Please help I am very concerned, being a new goat mommy and all.
Sorry to hear you are already having problems, please let us now, what breed of goats, the age of the goats, Did she come to you with scours, or did it start since you had her. And what have you fed her so far?

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It may simply be stress. If she's an adult I would give her some B complex and probios and I wouldn't change anything dietary. If she's still eating her hay I would just watch her for a day or so and see if she starts to adjust.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ages will definately help. But changes in goats surroundings, feed, and just the travel alone can stress a goat out.

I would get a fecal done and see if she is carrying a worm load..etc. It could just be new feed and surroundings...etc?? Stress changes.

But also if she is in milk and recently freshened...their bodies are under stress and they can get wormy. I will worm my girls right after freshening cuz they bodies are in great demand..so worms will hit hard when they are vulnerable!!! Vultures!! :tongue

I would also give her some baking soda and probiotics. To assist if thier is any balance issues in the rumen. And a shot a Vitamin B will help. Wont hurt if no issues so worth doing for sure!!

Hope they get better soon!!!

julieq

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
It may simply be stress. If she's an adult I would give her some B complex and probios and I wouldn't change anything dietary. If she's still eating her hay I would just watch her for a day or so and see if she starts to adjust.
Totally agree here.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
julieq said:
n.smithurmond said:
Totally agree here.
Make that x 3

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
julieq said:
n.smithurmond said:
Totally agree here.
Make that x 3
x 4 :thumbsup

phoenixmama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Granted, I'm not as experienced as many are on here...but:

I had a doe that slept on my back porch for two nights in a row (instead of in the goat barn) because I was very sick with the flu, and it was raining thus didn't put them away (and she didn't want to walk to the barn). The morning after the second night there was diarrhea everywhere. I was worried, but made sure to get her back to her normal routine and within a day she was back to normal stool.

My point: I agree that it's likely stress. I always like simple solutions to problems...and the simple answer is usually the right one (speaking about life in general here, not just goats).

damummis

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The goat is just under 2. I just went out and checked her and she still has diarrhea. I am going to wait and see like all you folks are suggesting.

She has had some hay but seems tired. It is quite crappy out and they seem content in their barn.

ETA: THANKS FOR THE ADVISE!!

Latest posts