Please help!! Emergency

The Ranch Girl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Please help our rabbit just gave birth way past her due date in her cage 3 survived and 3 others died. They are freezing cold and we dont have any milk replacer. We have them inside getting warm but we have to feed them! can they have cow milk? what can we do!!

The Ranch Girl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So we have help momma and put them on her to see if they would nurse and they tried but there seems to be no milk, I have worked with baby puppies a lot and the milk usually drop but we dont feel anything. We tried goat milk with a syringe but they arent eating.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Momma rabbits nurse the babies, then hop back out. This is a “wild” rabbit instinct where the momma rabbits only visit the nest a few times a day, but staying close to draw predators away.

Putting the babies back in with the doe is probably the best thing you can do. Easy way to warm them up is to tuck the little ice cubes in your bra or tuck in your shirt tail and put them against your belly. When warm in one side, turn them over. Your natural body heat will warm them without overheating them.

No they can’t have cow milk. I’m pretty sure, now that you have them warmed up and returned to the nest, that the doe will take over and feed them. If this is her first litter, sometimes they just don’t know what to do and give birth on the wire.

I’m assuming that she pulled fur and made a nest. If not, pull fur from the roll under her neck and make a warm nest.

To check if she is feeding them, look at their tummies, they should be round and full.
Let us know how she and babies are doing.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Kitten milk replacer & heavy whipping cream.
Make her a nest with hay in the back of a nestbox. Pull fur off mom and line nest. Warm up kits and put them in nest. Then give mom the nest.
They only feed morning & night, 2× a day. They won't and should not be in the nest unless feeding them.

How late did she have them?
I'm noticing that a lot of people on FB think day 28 is due date, but that's wrong. 28 is nest day. Due date is 30-33.

The Ranch Girl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Momma rabbits nurse the babies, then hop back out. This is a “wild” rabbit instinct where the momma rabbits only visit the nest a few times a day, but staying close to draw predators away.

Putting the babies back in with the doe is probably the best thing you can do. Easy way to warm them up is to tuck the little ice cubes in your bra or tuck in your shirt tail and put them against your belly. When warm in one side, turn them over. Your natural body heat will warm them without overheating them.

No they can’t have cow milk. I’m pretty sure, now that you have them warmed up and returned to the nest, that the doe will take over and feed them. If this is her first litter, sometimes they just don’t know what to do and give birth on the wire.

I’m assuming that she pulled fur and made a nest. If not, pull fur from the roll under her neck and make a warm nest.

To check if she is feeding them, look at their tummies, they should be round and full.
Let us know how she and babies are doing.
Thankyou and We did stick her back, they have been drinking thank goodness. We took fur off of mama and made a nest since she had not. they are doing much better now. This is our first litter and I wanted to make sure the rest survived, thankyou for you help I appreciatte it. I hope they keep doing well.

Latest posts