Please help! Ewe is driving me crazy!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
He might have pneumonia. Sheep and goats are very susceptible to pneumonia. I am not sure what the dose of antibiotics would be for a lamb that young.

Hufflesheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Breathing is fast. Eyes are bloodshot. I just called the vet hotline 😩

Hufflesheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Do you have any Selenium paste?
Not on me. You think that's it? Mom was hit with a selenium shot the day before birth. I gave him a probiotic paste when i checked the temp he looked constipated

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If mom had selenium before birth, level s probably ok. Selenium deficiency causes weak lambs and kids, but not fever and trouble breathing.

Sounds more like pneumonia. He may have gotten some birth fluid in his lungs. Hopefully vet can give you antibiotics. How far away is the vet's office? Suggest you put him in the car and drive him there if they are open. use a dog crate if necessary.

Hufflesheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If mom had selenium before birth, level s probably ok. Selenium deficiency causes weak lambs and kids, but not fever and trouble breathing.

Sounds more like pneumonia. He may have gotten some birth fluid in his lungs. Hopefully vet can give you antibiotics. How far away is the vet's office? Suggest you put him in the car and drive him there if they are open. use a dog crate if necessary.

He just called back. Im headed there now! Thanks so much for your response!! <3

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Temperature + rapid breathing + lethargy does point towards pneumonia. Hopefully the vet can sort him out!

Hufflesheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok update! Just got back. Vet didnt believe it to be pneumonia, although like you guys he was certain based on my description it was. He believes it to be selenium. temperature dropped by the time i arrived to the office and his lungs sounded good. He thought it perhaps unlikely the fetal lamb was able to absorb it within such a short time frame. He gave him selenium, fever reducer, long lasting antibiotics and fluids In case it wasn't selenium. Anyways! Little guy is quite tuckered out now!

I cant thank you guys enough for the support! I hope I'll return it back someday! 💙

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope to hear that he is totally recovered by tomorrow. If it is selenium he should pick up quick after getting a dose. Next time give the selenium about a month before lambing. :hugs

Darn lambs thrive on giving us a heart attack! He is probably collecting his bet off the next door lamb saying "See I told you I could trick her into giving me a car ride!"

Latest posts