1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: How much alfalfa is too much ?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Please Help: Feeding Elderly Alpaca

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Llamas and Alpacas' started by DressageQueen, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Mar 11, 2017
    TAH

TAH True BYH Addict

Have you tried fodder?

2. Mar 11, 2017
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Loving the herd life

Do you have a zoo near you? If so, they may be able to advise or their vet would be more informed about exotics.

Just a thought. And as long as he is not suffering more than you, I applaud your working out his issues. I have many old mini horses and have used a lot of Blue Seal over the past 35 years! My old gals have lost their jaw teeth, so hay is not an option BUT the Blue Seal Sentinel Senior is an extruded feed which is also a complete feed. They are happy & me too. It is a puffed nugget, so the saliva in their mouth softens it nicely (yes, I've tried it to see if it was soft to chew!) and I don't have to worry about choke and such.

You can call Blue Seal and they will have a nutritionist who will talk with you and help with info as to what your animal can/cannot have and needs. TSC here carries a limited line of Blue Seal but will order special for me! I know you will find a solution.

3. Mar 11, 2017
    DressageQueen

DressageQueen Just born

Unfortunately I can't find blue seal anywhere right now but will see if we can get any. I have some rescue minis too. They are such cute little things. I have a mother/daughter pair and the daughter has dwarfism but not so bad that it affects her health. She gets a little underbite that we have to fix yearly though. :)

4. Mar 12, 2017
    Alexz7272

Alexz7272 Loving the herd life

What feed stores are near you? You can feed Llama feed if you cannot find Alpaca specific. Mine have had sheep feed as they are penned together, never ever had an issue, also have sweet feed out occasionally, local breeder does the same and with their elderly they use Purina equine senior.