Please Help: Feeding Elderly Alpaca

DressageQueen

Just born
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 20 year old alpaca. He is blind and allergic to bermuda hay (vet confirmed) and needs grain to maintain his weight.
I am unable to get the feed I was feeding anymore (mazuri alpaca growth formula) and can only get the chews, which he won't eat as they are too large.
I am looking for other products I can feed him as a grain. The vet said goat feed but reading about it online made me nervous.

Thank you much.

DressageQueen

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you Bruce, I have looked into that option, but shipping is around $20 a bag no matter how many you get so that is not going to be a workable option. I need something I can get at the feed store.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
We feed BlueSeal Alpaca/Llama pellets. You can get it at TSC

DressageQueen

Just born
Reaction score
We are not in an area where blue seal is distributed. Mazuri was the ONLY alpaca feed that was available near us. Thank you for your input though.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are not in an area where blue seal is distributed. Mazouri was the ONLY alpaca feed that was available near us. Thank you for your input though.
That sucks, is it possible you could order it?

DressageQueen

Just born
Reaction score
No, I have looked into every option with every alpaca feed and I need something that is not an alpaca feed. There is nothing available in our area and I cannot afford to send $20 a bag on shipping. Our vet told me to do goat feed, but I double checked her since she is not very experience with alpacas and I am worried about the copper levels .

DressageQueen

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you! I could use all the help I can get. This is a very frustrating issue.

Latest posts