Please help! Losing fur, reddened skin. Graphic photo...

Reaction score
Yesterday, our Holland lop doe looked like she had wet fur on her cheek. We looked at the area, and the fur was kind of crunchy and dry. Today, we checked the area and it extended to under her chin. We soaked it with warm water, and once moistened, the fur started to fall out. There are kind of crusty patches and the skin is red and seemed thickened. I’m not sure if there’s an abscess brewing or maybe a skin infection? Her teeth look healthy, she is eating, drinking, and pooping and otherwise acting normal and healthy. Will head to vet in am. Wondering if I should try antibiotic ointment? She is currently nursing four three week old kits. Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 1A83B792-B6ED-446C-8F0C-3D7703678650.jpeg
    1A83B792-B6ED-446C-8F0C-3D7703678650.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 328

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does it seem to have a center to it? Could be a warble or bot fly in there. They can cause a lot of oozing that can turn into a crust and also cause a thickening and redness of the skin around the air hole.

If not, does she drink from a crock? Sometimes they can get a skin infection from their dewlap being wet all the time from dragging in a watering crock.

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
reminds me of rain rot in horses so it could be another fungal issue. Does she use a waterbottle or bowl? If she's got a bowl now I'd switch her to a bottle to keep moisture off her face.

Reaction score
Does it seem to have a center to it? Could be a warble or bot fly in there. They can cause a lot of oozing that can turn into a crust and also cause a thickening and redness of the skin around the air hole.

If not, does she drink from a crock? Sometimes they can get a skin infection from their dewlap being wet all the time from dragging in a watering crock.
Thank you so much for your response! There is no center, but she does drink from a crock! We took the crock out and replaced it with a water bottle in case she was keeping the area wet with it. We used a special soap to cleanse the area and treated it with antibiotic ointment. The redness and inflammation were greatly reduced today. She received a first dose of three of antibiotics, so we made sure to give her some probiotics as well. Hoping that will help clear it up! We had read that the water bottles could collect bacteria in them, so had opted for a crock - but we will avoid it if her tendency is to soak in it! Thank you so much again!

Reaction score
reminds me of rain rot in horses so it could be another fungal issue. Does she use a waterbottle or bowl? If she's got a bowl now I'd switch her to a bottle to keep moisture off her face.
Thank you so much for your response! She was drinking from a crock! We had read that the water bottles could collect bacteria in them, so had opted for a crock - but we will avoid it if her tendency is to soak in it! We took the crock out and replaced it with a water bottle in case she was keeping the area wet with it. We used a special soap to cleanse the area and treated it with antibiotic ointment. The redness and inflammation were greatly reduced today. She received a first dose of three of antibiotics, so we made sure to give her some probiotics as well. Hoping that will help clear it up! If not, I do have an anti fungal rinse on hand that I could try as well. Thank you so much again!

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your response! She was drinking from a crock! We had read that the water bottles could collect bacteria in them, so had opted for a crock - but we will avoid it if her tendency is to soak in it! We took the crock out and replaced it with a water bottle in case she was keeping the area wet with it. We used a special soap to cleanse the area and treated it with antibiotic ointment. The redness and inflammation were greatly reduced today. She received a first dose of three of antibiotics, so we made sure to give her some probiotics as well. Hoping that will help clear it up! If not, I do have an anti fungal rinse on hand that I could try as well. Thank you so much again!
To help the bottle/bacteria situation add some apple cider vinegar to her water, has a lot of health benefits and keeps the growth in the bottle low. But still clean it regularly. Ratio I've read is 2 tbsp ACV to one gallon water