Please help me figure out a cage solution

Vasara

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have asked this question before, but unfortunately, I have not found a solution to my cage issues.

One buck and one doe. My 10 & 12 year olds are in charge of feeding and cleaning. The doe does not like to be carried or picked up and she also chews on all the wood. They are currently in, separate, two level hutches with a drawer as the floor for ‘easy’ cleaning. It’s not easy. The cages are technically larger than the required Space for a rabbit, but it’s long and tall, but not deep. It just isn’t ideal.

I would like something insanely easy! I am not handy so I cannot build something from scratch or really modify anything ‘Pre fabricated’ Wire floors, off the ground but not hanging is what I prefer. Since the doe doesn’t like to be picked up, I’d also like something large enough so she has the space to exercise without having to be picked up and put in a run/tractor.

I don’t want to breed them again in our current setup. Please help me out! Send me all your pic and link suggestions!

thanks 😊

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's hard to get what you want in anything but a hanging setup, especially if the doe chews wood and you aren't real handy. Hanging cages could solve most of your issues, as you can just hang standard cages wired together, cut a door between them to allow for a bigger space to be and also cut a door between doe and buck cages but keep it closed until you need to join them for breeding, so you won't have to handle the doe much at all.

This also makes cleaning more efficient, as you can hang pieces of plastic or tarp in such a way to direct urine and feces into 5 gal buckets below the cages....cleaning is as easy as picking up the bucket and taking it out to the compost pile, hose it out or put some vinegar in it to keep down the smells, wash, rinse, repeat.

If you want more stability in the suspended cages, old metal bed rails/frames can be had quite cheaply and you can use them as supports under the edges of the cages to minimize swaying/movement.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Search on Craigslist. If your near Delaware there's a two rabbit setup mostly wire from what I saw. Looks homemade. I was looking at his bunnies they got sold quick. I built my hutches, made some mistakes and end up doing a lot of clean up. Seriously check craigslist and Facebook. I often see people selling rabbit equipment. There was a rabbitry, old couple sold everything they had. I bought some Flemish giants from her so the cages were kind of big. Worth a try and way, way cheaper than buying parts, tools and band-aids.
As Beekissed suggests parts from metal bed frame would be a great support. You can buy hard plastic saw horses or stack some cinder blocks to support them off the ground. Although cinder blocks unfortunately make perfect homes for creepy crawlers.

Spokeless Wheel

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have asked this question before, but unfortunately, I have not found a solution to my cage issues.

One buck and one doe. My 10 & 12 year olds are in charge of feeding and cleaning. The doe does not like to be carried or picked up and she also chews on all the wood. They are currently in, separate, two level hutches with a drawer as the floor for ‘easy’ cleaning. It’s not easy. The cages are technically larger than the required Space for a rabbit, but it’s long and tall, but not deep. It just isn’t ideal.

I would like something insanely easy! I am not handy so I cannot build something from scratch or really modify anything ‘Pre fabricated’ Wire floors, off the ground but not hanging is what I prefer. Since the doe doesn’t like to be picked up, I’d also like something large enough so she has the space to exercise without having to be picked up and put in a run/tractor.

I don’t want to breed them again in our current setup. Please help me out! Send me all your pic and link suggestions!

thanks 😊
I followed this to build my cages
. I absolutely love it! Very easy to follow and put together and you can make as big or small as you want. We put a sheet of roll roofing across the top of ours but you can use whatever you have available

Attachments

• DSCN1636.JPG
    DSCN1636.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN1633.JPG
    DSCN1633.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCN1632.JPG
    DSCN1632.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 118

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
How wide is the wire spacing?
Can you cut the top to match the number of separate sections?
When you open the top what do you with the cover?
That does look easy to put together and cheaper than buying lumber and wire.

Spokeless Wheel

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How wide is the wire spacing?
Can you cut the top to match the number of separate sections?
When you open the top what do you with the cover?
That does look easy to put together and cheaper than buying lumber and wire.
The wire spacing is half inch and you can cut the wire top for each section. All explained in the video. I didn't cut the top for each section. I just lift the top and roofing together. Then hold it up with a metal post.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The wire spacing is half inch and you can cut the wire top for each section. All explained in the video. I didn't cut the top for each section. I just lift the top and roofing together. Then hold it up with a metal post.
I didnt hear him my hearing is going. When I first googled Lowes the size I saw was 5/8. So I wanted to check what you used.

Spokeless Wheel

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I didnt hear him my hearing is going. When I first googled Lowes the size I saw was 5/8. So I wanted to check what you used.
I went to Lowes and got the smallest they had that bunny poo would fall thru. I think it's half inch. I have Flemish Giant/Silver Fox crosses. If you have smaller bunnies you might need smaller spacing.