PLEASE HELP Mixed Breed Rabbit Has Severe Dandruff Type Thing

Morgan M Baker

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Please help, any advice or answers would be greatly appreciated, I've attached pictures and I'm kind of freaking out a little bit. Plus a picture of him just being down right adorable!!
I went to get all of my 13 rabbits out of their cages to clean and clip nails, I clip nails every other weekend so this is when I mostly check the rabbits out and make sure everything is as it should be. I got my mixed breed rabbit Smoky out and as I was clipping his nails some of his fur moved aside (its pretty thick so I'm glad I even noticed this in the first place) and I saw some dandruff type flakes on his skin so I pulled some more hair aside and it's terrible, it goes all the way down his back, not in a solid line but little spots here and there and also some on his sides. The dandruff or whatever it is is thick and WAXY! It also looks like the fur has thinned a little bit in the big area of dandruff but only when you part his fur there. I dont think the pictures even come close to what it really looks like with my own eyes! I've had him for just about 3 years and I've never noticed this before or on any of my other rabbits. Any help or advice on what to do for him would be greatly appreciated, I dont know what to do about it, or if I should take him to the vet or if its life threatening, or mostly if hes uncomfortable. It doesnt seem like hes in pain, hes eating, drinking and acting normally. But I'm still so worried! Thanks in advance guys!
20170701_134510.jpg

20170701_134532.jpg

20170701_134545.jpg

20170701_134549.jpg

20170701_134553.jpg

20170701_134606.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, I am at a loss here.....never saw a rabbit with dandruff before. I would suggest a good shampoo with a dandruff shampoo, but would research the active ingredient first to make sure of no reactions. If you can't find any info on whether to use on a rabbit or not, then wash a small area first to see if he will have a reaction to the shampoo.

A shampoo is treating the symptom, not the problem. I don't know what the problem is, but I would suspect dry unhealthy skin. Get wheat germ oil and give an eye dropper full twice a day. I showed rabbits many years ago and I gave them wheat germ oil to condition their skin and fur. I got it at the feed store. You might have to order it online.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
It could just be dry skin and he may not be able to groom himself sufficiently due to the heavy fur.

My rabbits get a wee bit crusty when they are shedding their winter coats. Brushing the coats helps considerably. I'd think it would be a good thing to comb or brush out some of his shedding fur and if the fur is clean of anything nasty you can always save it to use in nest boxes.

On the outside chance that the flakes are caused by vermin, you could take a flea comb like you use for cats and dogs and comb through his fur. You are looking for anything that doesn't belong be it fleas or lice or anything in that nature.

He's a handsome boy who just may need a little assistance with his personal grooming.

Are you feeding your rabbits BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds)? If not you could try adding a teaspoon to their pellets. I do this and the rabbits fur is soft and their skin is clear.

Wheat germ oil suggested by @Baymule is another good idea, but I go for easy and use the BOSS. My rabbits love it.

Please keep us posted on how your boy is doing.