Please HELP! My goat can't stand or keep his head up!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Metrolonx where are you located?

Has he had any change in feed, extra grain, wet/moldy hay?

It could also be listeriosis. Do you have any Penicillin?

Could also be parasite related, that is why I asked about the color of his eye membranes.

Metrolonx

Herd lurker
Reaction score

Could also be parasite related, that is why I asked about the color of his eye membranes.

Thank you for replying, I don't have penicillin, but I gave him some amoxicillin in hopes that it would have some benefit in the case that it's listerosis. His lower eye lid is a light pink, is that what you mean?

Metrolonx

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Thank you for replying, I don't have penicillin, but I gave him some amoxicillin in hopes that it would have some benefit in the case that it's listerosis. His lower eye lid is a light pink, is that what you mean?

I'm in south florida, northern palm beach county. No changes in his diet and no moldy grain.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, the lower eyelid. Has he been wormed recently or checked for worms? Light pink is ok, the redder the better, but they will get white or very pale which is not good. There are other parasites that can cause weakness and not anemia so it doesn't rule out everything. The amoxicillin is better than nothing, at least it can't hurt. The dose is probably pretty big. I think I read 10cc /100 lbs for Pen.

They seem to pick a rotten day to get sick. Hope he hangs on until tomorrow and that you can find a vet.

I was asking where you lived just in case my some miracle you were a neighbor, but I am in CA. I have Thiamine and Pen on hand and would have shared.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. So sorry that your goat is down and that's what brought you to us. If you could share some pics that may help. It also figures that this would happen on a major holiday when vet assistance is typically impossible. I hope he holds on until you can seek professional help. I hope you'll stay with us and let us know what happens. Merry Christmas & wishing the best for you and your goat in the new year.

Latest posts