PLEASE HELP PIG NOT ACTING HERSELF MIGHT NEED HELP

kimba11

Just born
Reaction score
my sow is not acting herself . not moving around much . shes drinking and eating alittle , she doesn't get excited about the food anymore . she has no discharge from her eyes ,ears , mouth . she does move around alittle bit she'll come up to get a rub. about 2 days ago i bedded down their house with straw and through a couple leafs of it in the pen . which the 2 of them tore it up and played like puppys . i did notice the one eatting the staw ( maybe to much?) so could that be the problem . they were both fine 2 days ago please help sorry might be a couple of typo's but in a hurry thanks so much

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
sounds like she has a little cold or something, it she excreting? Perhaps for now try and get her to drink some warm water with some molasses and see that she is excreting. Is there anything else... you say "they" so are there two pigs and one is acting off? I highly doubt a pig eating hay would be an issue when you look at everything else they consume.

kimba11

Just born
Reaction score
YES I HAVE 2 PIGS AND THE ONE IS ACTING OFF . SHE JUST SEEMS LIKE SHE DONT WANT TO MOVE AROUND ALOT . YOU JUST KNOW WHEN YOUR ANIMALS ARE OFF . THE OTHER ONE IS FINE . I WILL TRY THE MOLASSES TONIGHT WHEN I GET HOME . THANKS SO MUCH FOR REPLYING

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
kimba, i had a sow acting the same way recently. while she was laying down i got to take her temperature and it was very high, so i gave her a hefty dose of penicillin and within two hours she was up and looking better. i tried to get a second dose into her but couldnt, and the next day she was acting herself! not sure what it was, either a snake bite that i couldnt see or just a little sickness. i would try to get her temperature if i were you and go from there. maybe pick up some penicillin and needles from tractor supply or a feed store to keep on hand if you dont have it. good luck and keep us updated!

kimba11

Just born
Reaction score
HOW MANY CC DID YOU GIVE SHES PROBABLY A 200LB PIG

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
it says on the bottle how many cc per lb. but i believe i gave her 2.5.. mine is about 200lb too so i just gave her a little extra to make sure.