Please help with the lamb I should not have bred.

veritastar

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have an old skinny ewe who gave birth to twins 1 months ago. One did not last the night and the other is growing well. The ewe however, does not look good. Truthfully, I shouldn't have let her breed. I was shocked a few weeks ago when I sheared her and realised just how skinny she is. She also developed a bottle neck so I fed wormed her with Ivermectin and that is almost gone now. She also appears to have trouble eating. She's not very strong anymore and I believe it is time to put dear old Gertie down. I am separating out her and her baby twice a day to feed them extra. The baby is eating grain and hay well.

I feel like an idiot for letting Gertie breed this year. She's always been so strong and a wonderful mother to all the lambs (not just her own). She made a stunning ram last year. It's her time to go.

What is the earliest time that it is safe to wean the lamb? So far all my lambs have weaned themselves. How is the best way to wean him?

Thanks in advance.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a friend who has a ewe that is 10 years old and has twin lambs. She is skin and bones but doesn't appear to be in any distress but since she was originally a bottle baby she asks for and gets a lot of attention. I have no answer about when to put her down but we have weaned at two months. On the other hand we have huge lambs that are still nursing at 8 months.

There are many with more experience but they wean pretty easy.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You might want to keep the lamb on her for another month. Is there any way you can keep her and the lamb separate from the flock so you can lavish extra care on her?

veritastar

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. I have both of them in my house yard today for extra feeding and will continue to keep them close. She's a tough girl and she's making plenty of milk for the little guy. I don't know how old exactly she is. When her old owner got her she was already old, she had her for a few years and I've had her for two years. She's never looked great but she's always been feisty and confident.... she's just not herself anymore.

My poor old Gertie:
gerty.jpg

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a friend that had a really skinny goat after she kidded and she started giving her Red Cell and it made a huge difference. I have never used the stuff but it is easy to find and might be worth a try.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I can't tell her age from the picture but she sure does look very skinny. The lamb looks very healthy. I'd be trying to feed her the highest quality feed and hay that I could, almost free choice, to help her put some weight back on if she can. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a ewe that gives all she haves to her lambs. After I wean them off, I have to feed her extra feed by herself, along with some corn, to put weight back on her. Your ewe might not have the teeth to eat something like corn, but there are pellets that are high fat and protein. Your ewe might be old, but as long as she is happy and raising nice lambs like that, I sure wouldn't put her down. Only you can make that decision, it is a hard thing to do, either way.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Personally,I'd just feed her and feed her and feed her. Ewe pellets, as Baymule suggests, are concentrated feed in a relatively small volume. You may be pleasantly surprised at how she can improve her body score.

I had a really skinny ewe who had twin lamb disease last year. I selectively fed her. She went on to produce two good sized lambs of which I bottle fed one and left the other with her. This year I kept her with a couple of others and selectively fed them. She started to produce milk copiously 5 weeks before she gave birth. Twice daily milkings meant I had a freezer full of milk.I fed her really large amounts of ewe nuts etc. She again produced two good sized lambs and kept one who grew very well and has since gone to market.

Much can be achieved with lots of food!