Please help with the lamb I should not have bred.

veritastar

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I don't think Gertie is going to make it. :-( She's barely eating now and when her baby tried to get milk from her she fell over and couldn't get back up. Baby is looking very good. He's eating solids really well- extruded lupins, extruded corn, vit and min, Lucerne and grass/forage. Should I try to offer him milk in a bucket? I wouldn't be surprised if gert doesn't last the day. :-(

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry you are going through this. We had one we had to wean early because it's mom wasn't doing well for an unknown reason. We treated it like an orphan lamb as it was almost 30 pounds. We made sure it got plenty of water and gave her alfalfa (as much as she wanted).

A quote from Sheep 101:

Orphan lambs that have been weaned and merged with rest of the flock should be closely observed for signs of disease and ill-thrift.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am real sorry that Gert has taken a turn for the worse. She sounds like she was a darn good ewe for you. Make her as comfortable as possible. What kind of milk do you have for the little fellow. I haven't had to bottle feed one so I don't know the protocol for a 1 month old orphan.

veritastar

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have purchased di-vetalac (http://www.aussievetproducts.com.au/products/divetelact-powder) and protexin (a probiotic) for him. I am hoping I can just mix them in to his feed. He has been spending less time with his mother lately and more time with the other lambs. Here is a photo of him with a slightly older lamb, Cindy. They come into the yard as they please to get extra food. The other sheep are two big to fit through the gate. I think Cindy may have been stealing milk from Gertie as well which wouldn't have been helping.
lambs.jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So sorry to hear. I hope she goes peacefully.

veritastar

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you everyone.

She couldn't get up this morning so I got my husband to put her down. He is processing her for the dog (It is sad, but I'd rather not waste her and have another animal die to feed her instead). She was very sick. She was filled with tumours including one huge one and had internal haemorrhaging. No amount of feeding could have saved her. :-( Now we've got to focus on her baby.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's never easy, but you did the right thing. It seems harder sometimes to end their suffering but it's for the best. And now you know that there was nothing you could have done. You gave her a good life. :hugs

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
It's good that even with her passing, she will provide to you and the family by way of the dog(s). Sorry she's gone, but glad she didn't have to endure the pain that surely would have come.