Dwarfgoatnoob

Just born
Reaction score
I recently bought a Nigerian dwarf goat and he barely eats the hay we got for him. I looked it up and it said he could eat Timothy grass but he doesn’t seem to like it. We might try and bring him to a supply store and see what he likes.im worried about him someone help

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our goats are not very fond of timothy hay.
They prefer orchard grass.

What did the breeder have him on? Did they send home any of their hay?

Dwarfgoatnoob

Just born
Reaction score
He started eating the hay (thank god). The breeder didn’t give me any hay only pellets. All They told me was to feed him second cut hay. I have the name of the pellets and location to purchase them so I’m good with that. But should I keep feeding him the Timothy (because he’s already eating a lot of it now) or put him on another one?? Thankyou for the help!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If he's eating it, then you've got the problem 1/2 licked. I tried 2 types of coastal and my goats barely picked at it. SO now they get alfalfa and they waste a LOT which hurts my wallet. Now you just need to monitor his body condition over time and adjust as needed to keep him in prime condition.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Oh, sorry, forgot my manners...

Greetings and welcome to BYH! So glad you joined us. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

Oh, if you haven't done so already, PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. Old folks like me :old will never remember from this thread. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mine like orchard/prairie hay and turn their noses up at the horse's coastal bermuda. :Shrug: If he's eating it now, I'd stick with it and monitor his body condition.

Dwarfgoatnoob

Just born
Reaction score
What do you mean by monitor his body condition? I’m very new to this and could use all the help I can get.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Dairy goat body condition (scoring):
You want to ensure he's growing well, not TOO skinny, filling out nicely, not too fat... active, not lethargic, "healthy" looking/acting.

omg_sob

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi, my Nigerians can be pretty picky also. They HATE coarse, stemmy, grass. They just pick through it and most of it ends up on the ground, so I try and feed them a softer grass. Second cut is good too. Mine have also figured out that when they get a bale that they like, they will even clean up the ground around their feeder before I re-fill it. :)

Latest posts