Please reassure me!

samandemsmommy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I just got a 10 week old nigerian dwarf on Friday. We were hoping to get another on Saturday- but now we have to wait until this Saturday for him--- please reassure me that for just ONE WEEK my kid will be fine- he will not all of the sudden die of loneliness :( I am worried about him. He has taken to us very well and has followed me around all weekend- and now I am back to work today and he is by himself- well except for the chickens-- He will be ok for just a week?

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I can't answer this because I have never been through it but I believe he should be ok... He may be pretty broken up but he won't just kill over, it would start as lack of appetite, and lack of wanting to continue on. Some goats will do just fine alone... I have known several who have had only one and they were just peachy. It is a general rule of thumb to have a pal, but that goes the same as anything. It isn't always the same for all of them. :) HUGS and congrats on the new little one!

samandemsmommy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Right now he kinda has a lack of appetite. He did finish his bottle last night, but would not eat much this morning. Yes- we had planned for him a buddy- and plans got changed, so that's why he is without one for this week :( I hate it and I am so worried about him. My son is home today sick, so I have asked him to get him and bring him inside today so he could love on him. I do plan to go home at lunch all week to pet him/feed him and then when I get home in the evenings of course to give attention.

samandemsmommy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Also- luckily my son will be home tomorrow and Wednesday as well during the day- so hopefully this helps- because he will bring him inside and cuddle on him :)

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had started with two. After several months one died suddenly. Since I wanted to make sure the other was OK, I didn't go out and immediately get another. I waited about two weeks.

It was winter and his temperature was a little low, so I brought him inside in a large dog crate. I didn't really play or cuddle, but he could see me and my dog. When I felt comfortable about his health, I purchased two more goats and put them together outside.

He survived quite well, although he is still my little buddy, always first to come for pets.

He also went through not eating well and being lonely. I gave him probiotics paste as a precaution to help him digest the little food he ate. I think it really helped.

I hope your boy does well. Being around people helps, IMO. I'm not an expert by any means! Just my experience learning on the fly.

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I will add that at ten weeks, mine were weaned, i don't really know what the " correct" age to wean is.

samandemsmommy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
See I am not sure about weaning- I have read different things--- so I am giving him 1 bottle in morning, 1 at night until 12 weeks. I do have the probiotic paste- how often should I give that to him? I gave a dose of it on Saturday and he seemed to perk up a little.

Reactions: TAH

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think I have him a dose every day for a couple weeks. He came to want it, almost like a treat. Didn't seem to hurt.

I weaned him from it once everything normalized.

I was winging it.

samandemsmommy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks- I think when I go home at lunch, I will give him another dose.

samandemsmommy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
rick.JPG

Latest posts