Please reassure me!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
He's a cute little fella :D Typically you can ween dwarfs @ ~8weeks, minis @~12 weeks and full sized @~16weeks. I'm sure he'll be fine by himself for a week. His appetite may have changed as part of all the stress of moving, new place, etc.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wean and sell my standard Alpine and LaMancha goats at 8 weeks and so do most of my friends that raise goats. They do just fine with weaning at that age. Even Boers are weaned at 8 weeks.

Your little guy is old enough to wean and he will be just fine without a buddy for a week. Many bottle babies are raised in the house for a week or more with no friends.

He sure is cute.

samandemsmommy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok- because he is like not real interested in taking a bottle much!! I tried this morning and he just kept turning his head and his nose up at me like LADY STOP!!! lol. So when weaning him, do I just stop the bottle all together- or slowly cut back the amount? I am new so this is our first goat. lol Thanks everyone!!

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is he eating hay and whatever other ration you may be offering?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I wean dam raised kids I just pull the kid cold turkey. Bottle babies I will sometimes go to just one bottle for a few days but that is more for me than them. I feel guilty pulling the bottle and listening to them cry.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you tried the bottle in the morning and he didn't want it I would say it is a pretty good clue that he doesn't need it. Just make sure he is drinking water.

Keep asking questions as they come up. If you feel like you are asking what others have you might search the threads on this forum. But, always feel free to ask. To borrow what one of my teachers said (quoting someone else I'm sure)...the only foolish question is the one that isn't asked.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
How long has he been a bottle baby? Yes, he is old enough to be weaned BUT I'd be concerned that he doesn't want it. I've bottle fed a few kids over the last 2 seasons (~50ish) and they all still wanted a bottle even though they were old enough to be weaned. Not to scare you, but I would be more concerned about him not wanting a bottle than him being without a buddy.

Have you had a fecal run on him? This is prime time for things like cocci to rear its ugly head. Nigies seem to love their bottle the most in my experience, I would be concerned if my ND just decided to wean itself.

samandemsmommy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
He has not been bottle fed very long- it was only a week or two.

Latest posts