Please share your thoughts on sheep giving birth in the forest or field

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those are awesome panels. I could put those to work in many many projects. Good score.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Personally that imo gets more confusing
It is starting a thread and coming to a conclusion and finishing a thread. :hu

SBC,

Thank you for sharing. My concern is as I ask questions about how to build an inexpensive sheep shelter the thread will have departed from its original purpose of sharing concerns about sheep living and giving birth in the open fields and forests...and perhaps there will be many, many people with excellent ideas on how to build a sheep shelter...and the posts could go on and on and on...

The rain here has not stopped. The main herd has chosen to remain in their covered shelter, not even venturing out to the forest for food. I have never seen this before, and I think these sheep are speaking to me through their actions: They do best having a covered shelter when it is raining. Perhaps leaving sheep out in the cold rain in the fields and/or forest for days at a time is not such a great idea.

So now I am scrambling to set up a quick shelter and hopefully have it complete by today. I hope to build a more permanent shelter during the Christmas break.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup

Soar, do you have a journal?
A journal is also a great way to keep track of events and times ... it is fun to look at your progression a year, two, three later.
Of course sheep shelters would be a good thread on it's own but journals also allow people to follow your farm in particular.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:thumbsup

Soar, do you have a journal?
A journal is also a great way to keep track of events and times ... it is fun to look at your progression a year, two, three later.
Of course sheep shelters would be a good thread on it's own but journals also allow people to follow your farm in particular.

SBC,

I did have a log book I used in my attempt to keep track of immunizations, dewormers, etc. but to be honest with you, I have totally slacked off in this area!

Is there a place at this website to keep a journal?

My other option is to set up voice recognition on Google Keep like I did for our bee apiary. Google Keep was incredibly helpful in this area with the bees because it was imperative to keep detailed notes on the various aspects of each hive!

BTW, does anyone else here use voice recognition for typing messages here?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Go to the bottom of BYH under social-
There is a section called
Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals
Read through the how to begin section first.

I had voice years ago but never used it here.
I did a voice text to someone on here last week and hit send before I re-read what I said.

Oh good Lord! It put in other words that were really bad. When you say BUCK--- that isn't what went through.
Didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I was mortified!

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I will be very careful when I speak into the voice recognition mic and try to limit my use of the word "Buck!"

Thank you for your clear directions on how to begin a journal. I think it could be very helpful so I hope to start one ASAP!

As mentioned in another thread, we are on a super tight budget, so we cannot afford to pay full TS, HD, Lowe's, etc. full price on material. I often go to auctions, looking for super good deals. Recently I was in the ghetto called Stockton, CA and found some more incredible deals. Often people are simply trying to get rid of their junk and the price is incredibly low. I am finding the truth in the saying, "What is one man's junk is another man's treasure."

After reading Goat Whisperer's posts and seeing her pics of a hoop house built with the cattle panels, I have decided to go that route for now. What is really nice about these shelters is that they are portable and movable. I really like that!

So now our sheep will have shelters in the forest and the fields when they so desire. Who knows, perhaps the ewes will choose to give birth to their lambs in the hoopla hoop houses!

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Last edited: