Please talk me through the costs of pigs.

GBov

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi, we are joining the 4H and are getting three piglets. My hubby wants to know down to the penny (or as close as I can get :rolleyes:) how much it will cost to feed them.

I will be giving them all our kitchen scraps but the bulk of their feed will be store bought so how much does it cost on average to raise a pig from little to about 200 lbs?

Oh, and thats another question for y'all, whats the best size to slaughter at? I can handle 200 lbs with no problem and with the engine hoist can even go bigger but dont want tough meat.

This is all so much fun and we havnt even gotten the pigs yet LOL.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't help you with your questions, but I'm sure someone will be on here soon that can. Good luck with your piggies!

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It would be impossible to accurately nail down an exact price for the feed. The grain markets are very unsettled now, and with the economy being what it is, the case could be made for much higher prices, and also for much lower prices.

Most pigs are slaughtered at around 230 - 275 lbs. They don't get "tough" meat till around a year or so, and even then I doubt that you could notice a difference.