Please welcome our new pet skunk...wait, our new holstein cow, wait, our new lamb?

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's a bird, it's a plane, no, it's superman!

Please welcome our new pet skunk...wait, our new tiny holstein cow, wait, could it be a new lamb?

We had a wonderful surprise a couple of days ago.

But we are still trying to figure out what to name our precious new addition...

Decisions, decisions:

Stinky?
Moo Moo?
Black and White Lives Matter?
Heinz 57?

Please help us out...

By all means, please share your interesting naming ideas!

Our New Pet Skunk 3.jpg
Our New Pet Skunk 4.JPG

Last edited:

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I like Moo-Moo!! :lol::lol:

Moo-Moo is a cutie! Ram? Ewe? Keeper? Eater? :ya:ya

Hi Bay!

I kinda like that name too!

Here is the low down on this lamb:

This is a two day old ewe lamb. Mama is Ms. Dorper in the pic, Papa was an American Blackbelly. We purchased Mama when she was a tiny 6 week old lamb at a local auction for $70 in Dec. of 2015. So I suppose Mama is a little over a year old. American Blackbelly sheep require 18 months from birth to selling weight. Dorpers require only 3-5 months to achieve selling weight.

What will we do with little Miss Moo-moo? I suppose we will choose the wait-and-see route! This lamb is significantly larger than most American Blackbelly lambs. We kinda did this as an experiment and were curious how fast they will grow.

I can't wait to post an ad later in the year: Small Holstein Cows for Sale :p

I wonder if we will get any buyers...:lol:

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with keeping the ewes from the Dorper/American Blackbelly cross and breeding them to a Dorper ram. You might get real hardy, meaty sheep. I like your marketing strategy ....... Mini-Holsteins!

Mine are Katahdin/Dorper crosses and now I have a Dorper ram. As I learn more, in the next couple years, I will buy a registered Dorper ram, along with 2-3 registered ewes. I'll still keep my grade ewes, but will be able to offer registered breeding stock along with lambs for meat.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with keeping the ewes from the Dorper/American Blackbelly cross and breeding them to a Dorper ram. You might get real hardy, meaty sheep. I like your marketing strategy ....... Mini-Holsteins!

Mine are Katahdin/Dorper crosses and now I have a Dorper ram. As I learn more, in the next couple years, I will buy a registered Dorper ram, along with 2-3 registered ewes. I'll still keep my grade ewes, but will be able to offer registered breeding stock along with lambs for meat.

Bay,

Yes, I will have to give that a try...Dorper/American Blackbelly cross and breeding them to a Dorper ram. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I like your idea of Katahdin/Dorper crosses. Many, many ranchers say that is one of the very best crosses available on the planet. I hope to try those one day. Wish we lived closer to you!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's wonderful that we have this forum so we can talk to others that are similarly afflicted as we ourselves are. Now we just gotta get everybody to move to northeast Texas..... :lol::lol:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You'll be getting more splotchy lambs like Moo-Moo, so name the next one Flower--after the skunk on the cartoon movie, Bambi.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks a bit like a puppy in the first pic to me.....GORGEOUS....and a lovely short tail that probably can stay.

Usually I resort to a the Welsh word for what I see as the name of an animal (or some obvious feature....like I have Brownspot, Popeye, Horns, etc). So, Welsh for calf is Llo...so I'd call her LLola. My little avatar girl is LLeila (pretty much means 'less than', 'cause she was so much less than any of the other lambs around).

Skunk is NOT a good name, just NOT, so not Skunk or Skunky!

She's so much prettier than Holstein cows...all bony backs and gigantic udders.

Whatever you call her she is ridiculously cute.