Plus sized Llamas?

Jake

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I read the thread on the mini Llamas, and looked at the website, interesting, and I am sure they have appeal to folks on small properties, not sure what a male weighs but, wonder if they would be larger then a goat wether for packing??

Moot point to me, I am interested in the other direction, breeding for size and athletic ability for pack Llamas. As mature weight is what decides packing load a mini Llama seems to be more of a fun animal rather then a serious pack animal.

Ya never know though, could be fun in forests for hiking and carrying a picnic lunch, myself I would rather have a large male Llama for it.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would say the mini llama male would probably be around 200 lbs. They are about the same size as an alpaca and alpaca males average around 200 lbs.

Jake

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well I have seen Boer wethers go over that, also the bucks.

My interest is in the larger Llamas so we shall see what will be.

The couple pics of the minis on the website were nice looking little guys, did you ever pack with your Alpacas Karen?

I suspect most wouldnt want to scruff or pack down their wool with a pannier.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
No, I have never packed with alpacas. I know some people did train alpacas for packing but most people don't.

Jake

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes I am sure the panniers wouldnt help the wool much.

Its looking slow on finding any breeders in driving distance, I will try joining the MI Llama breeders group.