Pnuemonia in calves?

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
What Jan said.
Some breeders/sellers will keep meticulous records of vaccination protocols, some do not keep anything on paper at all and then some, will claim "Yeah, they've had all their shots" when reality is they have never seen a needle or nasal in their lives. I vaccinate everything that comes here, regardless of what the seller says. The calves may have been fine when you bought them, but that doesn't mean they stayed that way thru transit. There's lots of evidence that some of these bacterial pathogens are very long lived in dormancy, and a dirty floored stock trailer is a great place for them to wait for the next host to be loaded on. You never know what the last animal that was in that trailer poopin, breathing, dripping snot, and peein might have had.
If you really think they are leaning toward pneumonia, it's time to call a vet ..yesterday. It works fast and can be very difficult to control and all the 'good stuff' medicine is by prescription anyway.
Don't wait on this..

As I told you via PM, what may be applicable here in E. Texas may not be the right course for North Carolina.

I called the vet. Nobody called me back. Im calling again today. I dont have a trailer so they will have to come to the house, but its worth it if they are sick. I can have them checked and vaccinated while the vet is there. I doubt the people who sold them to me did vaccinate them. People will tell you anything. Dont worry, Im not waiting, thats for sure!

Rammy

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Oh... OK... Then I guess I'll not bother tagging you going fwd GB. No problem. If you've got it turned off, you'll never see if I do or don't, either way. Just make sure the vet you're calling is a "farm vet" and not a dog & cat only vet. I can totally identify with the no trailer conundrum...

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Talked to the vet finally. He told me just to keep an eye on them that he didnt think it was pneumonia. He is a large animal vet and I have used him before for my horse. Im hoping he is right.

Rammy

Latest posts