Poisoning in young rabbit (probably buttercup/ranunculus)

Childwanderer

Loving the herd life
Joined
Dec 6, 2017
Messages
128
Reaction score
118
Points
163
Location
East TX
Two of our three rabbits are showing signs of poisoning. Lethargy, limpness, slightly labored breathing, and diarrhea.

Initially I thought that the source of the poison was mistletoe since one of the rabbits was caught nibbling on some the night before last, but the rabbit who was caught with mistletoe is the less severely-effected patient described bellow and the other had no mistletoe. I just found out that the two poisoned rabbits but not their unaffected companion, had been given wild buttercups to eat by a well-meaning person not familiar with rabbit-care.

The rabbit more severely effected weighs 1 lb 12 oz, or 805 g. It barely moves and neither resisted nor swallowed easily when I syringe-fed it activated charcoal dissolved in water. The second weighs 2 lbs 2 oz or just over a kilogram and is lethargic with uneasy breathing, diarrhea, and no appetite, but resisted and swallowed vigorously when syringe-fed activated charcoal dissolved in water.

Is there anything else I can do?
 
Last edited:

Jego

Chillin' with the herd
Joined
Dec 30, 2021
Messages
5
Reaction score
8
Points
26
I can't give any advice, but I'm curious how they are doing today?
 

Childwanderer

Loving the herd life
Joined
Dec 6, 2017
Messages
128
Reaction score
118
Points
163
Location
East TX
The smaller of the two died yesterday, but the other made it through the night. Here's hoping he pulls through.
 

Kimmy Brown

Exploring the pasture
Joined
Dec 20, 2021
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Points
16
Update, (they're my baby rabbits, Childwanderer just helps me A LOT) the bigger on is perfectly fine now!! Activated charcoal (and Childwanderer) saved the day!
 
Top