1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

poisonious plants

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by Georgia Girl, May 25, 2019.

1. Jun 15, 2019
    Devonviolet

Devonviolet Herd Master

I’m sorry you have such a bad reaction to nightshade juice on your hands. If I eat soy products, I have a similar reaction. My face and lips swell up and get numb when I eat soy products. NASTY!!!

Last year, I read that the leaves*** can be tinctured (in alcohol). I was just too busy, at the time, to try it. I then totally forgot to try it, and it didn’t get done. I definitely want to try it this year.
    ETA: *** BEAUTYBERRY leaves. :lol:

Here is a good article that talks about beautyberries.

https://thegrownetwork.com/natural-bug-repellent-beautyberry/

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    B&B Happy goats likes this.
  2. Jun 15, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Why would you tincture nightshade leaves? Or are you talking about beautyberry leaves?

ETA I read the article, about making a tincture with beautyberry leaves! Ooooohhhhh…..I get it now.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Devonviolet likes this.
  3. Jun 16, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Herd Master

I like just pulling a beautyberry leaf or two, crushing & rubbing. LOL if you are out there already & no time for rest of it.

I will try jelly this year. Now I'm curious as to taste. The berries are so bland raw, hard to imagine more than pretty colored sugar water jelly :D =D:idunno

You can make a tincture of Elderberries, also. If you don't want the syrup. I'd think the syrup to taste better. My tincture recipe says brandy -- might be a little better taste than vodka as no flavor in that. In fact the syrup recipe uses brandy -- preservative. I might really like this stuff.:D There is a lot of it there on those trees/bushes and I plan to harvest a bunch. Will dehydrate some berries for use, too. In case I want more of the syrup later -- or, for tea? Never tried that.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  4. Jun 16, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

@Mini Horses make an elderberry pie. I made one last year and it was so good. I'm going to freeze berries this year, just for pie!