Poka_Doodle-Teaching a Chicken Showmanship-First day is over

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay, so I figured I might as well start this thread as my main showmanship chicken did it during County Fair and my older birds could use some teaching moments.
Why am I starting this thread?
Three shows in about 3 months makes one chicken not have fun being shown off to the judge and will make the chicken unfun to work with. So I am going to train another for my upcoming show. I am only doing two instead of 3 since my parents said no to State Fair.
Follow along as I train one more chicken to be friendly and presentable.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay, day 1 is over, we trained for about 5 minutes just working on holding and staying calm. Only 1 hole in my shirt and a bit of a molt really starting to show. I am pretty sure it will be my Naked Neck.

I am realizing how much work it actually is to train them that I had forgotten, Pumpkin is already really good and started friendly, while Fancy isn't quite sure. I ask tempted to use Pumpkin but I want her to have fun.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, maybe you could call today a second day but I am taking a slow approach and when I could finally catch Fancy I only held her for about 30 seconds

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have never heard of training a chicken. we have chickens, never to show, but I just assumed you held them tight when they were judged. what kinds do you show?

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
For show we hold them in a way that is odd to explain, I will take a picture this afternoon to Skye how, I show Bantams. The Mille Fleur D'Uccle, Quail Belgium D'Anver, and a rock Bantam breed that I have no idea how to spell. My current training chicken is a Naked Neck but my D'Anver is my already trained champion.