Poka_Doodle's journal

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Doesn't need to be quality! We just like knowing things are going OK :)

Do kids at sectionals come from places where there isn't much snow? Seems like that would be difficult.
Glad to hear from you. I’m glad you aren’t looking for much quality, school brain has started to allow my fingers to ramble when they want to fill space.
I really don’t know how the snow is elsewhere, but there are kids that come from the east coast, along with Montana, Utah, and I’m sure other places. According to my sources (all human), the snow out east hasn’t been good the past few years.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The snowfall at my house was not been heavy last year, seems much more snow fell well south of us. Tue-Thurs this week we got over a foot of "heart attack" snow. Doesn't look like they got much 20 miles south though. We had pretty much no rain this summer, which is unusual. Didn't start raining until the end of September.

Killington likes to be the first to open even if there are only a few trails of man made snow. I think they opened in October.

The phrase here is "If you can ski in the east, you can ski anywhere". We get some powder but also a fair bit of hard pack. People in the west that seem to see only powder presumably don't have much experience hitting their edges hard to hold turns on hard pack and ice. When you mentioned skiing moguls are you talking about running a course of moguls skies on the ground or doing aerials off them?

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
The snowfall at my house was not been heavy last year, seems much more snow fell well south of us. Tue-Thurs this week we got over a foot of "heart attack" snow. Doesn't look like they got much 20 miles south though. We had pretty much no rain this summer, which is unusual. Didn't start raining until the end of September.

Killington likes to be the first to open even if there are only a few trails of man made snow. I think they opened in October.

The phrase here is "If you can ski in the east, you can ski anywhere". We get some powder but also a fair bit of hard pack. People in the west that seem to see only powder presumably don't have much experience hitting their edges hard to hold turns on hard pack and ice. When you mentioned skiing moguls are you talking about running a course of moguls skies on the ground or doing aerials off them?
Interesting. I’ve heard about how rough it is skiing out east, but have never experienced it. So for the freestyle mogul kids, they have a course of moguls with two jumps in the middle. I’m not the best at explaining it, sorry. One person to look up if you want a good visual is Casey Andringa. My brother skies with his sister, and he went to this past Olympics.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, I understand. Ski the moguls, head for the jump, hope to not wipe out landing in the moguls, do it again!

Most likely the moguls for a race are groomed rather than just existing due to the track people take down the hill. Thus they are likely packed pretty well whether east or west so no advantage depending on where one trains. If it snows significantly on the course overnight I think they send people down the hill before the race to ski the snow out of the tracks. Could be wrong on that. Never could ski moguls, couldn't turn my feet and hips fast enough. DW was silky smooth through the moguls before she got Rheumatoid Arthritis. Her brother, though he was well capable of skiing the troughs, liked to bang off the tops. His knees have paid significantly for that.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol::lol::lol::lol: They do take a tole on your body. One cant help but wonder what happens to those crazy skiers in their later years.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
They get their ACLs and MCLs repaired that's what! BIL's surgeon said he could do as he was told to do for rehab and all would be well. BIL complied. Probably the first time he went 100% on the advice of another instead of taking chances and pushing his luck.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
8ABC5609-7C31-4EF3-9E8B-7582CF4F65D4.jpeg
C084CAF7-24CB-4173-B2BE-D15FBE01371C.jpeg
Hey guys, guess it’s been a little while... okay, maybe a month and a half...
Anyways, I actually have something to say, weird right... lol.
On a somewhat serious or real note, national western stock show has been around for 100+ years, and one of the historic parts of it has always been the yards. As most know, the early editions of the show took place completely in the yards. A few years ago the city decided that the area needed to have a major renovation. And as the renovation will actually be starting this coming year, they will preserve some of the old buildings, but the yards, and historic barn there... those will be getting demolished.
Yesterday afternoon, the sky got grey and the air got windy, but I had the opportunity to go out there with a friend for a walk. One of our main goals, aside from simply saying goodbye, was to get plenty of pictures as away to preserve the memories. Our phones of course didn’t want to cooperate, but we managed to get some pictures. Most the cows were out, so we were able to capture the true emptiness of the atmosphere.
If you guys want I can get more up once I load them on my phone.

Attachments

• C4662827-55CC-4EFE-A220-FA58D9DF7E48.jpeg
    C4662827-55CC-4EFE-A220-FA58D9DF7E48.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 196
  • D9229301-5647-4E08-ADE0-E03531913F01.jpeg
    D9229301-5647-4E08-ADE0-E03531913F01.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 162
  • E97C3107-5D48-4366-A2EA-E4EA7BCB4270.jpeg
    E97C3107-5D48-4366-A2EA-E4EA7BCB4270.jpeg
    467.7 KB · Views: 170

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Which buildings are going to be replaced? Are they in the pictures?

And nice to "see" you again :)

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey guys :frow hope everyone made it through the polar vortex that went through.

Honestly came on here to let everyone know I managed to survive getting my wisdom teeth out. Fortunately for me, I didn’t have any anesthesia after effects, except trying to talk with gauze in my mouth...

Latest posts