Poka_Doodle's journal

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey guys, been a while, anyways been thinking of you all and missing the community y’all once let me join.

Just felt like it was worth also coming on to let y’all know I’m okay. The incident yesterday was not far from my house, and I know people who used to go there, but they are all okay. The community is doing as well as you could expect a community to be doing after an event like that (well, maybe we’re all also a little wet from nonstop rain for a couple straight days, but that’s a whole different story...). I can’t help but remember that even in times like this, everything happens for a reason, and having two sports teams in the playoffs is only helping people unite together.

Hope y’all are well :love

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi Polka, glad you are OK. That is scary stuff. Waiting to find out what got into these guys that they would decide to go shoot up the school. I just can't imagine.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi Polka, glad you are OK. That is scary stuff. Waiting to find out what got into these guys that they would decide to go shoot up the school. I just can't imagine.
Totally agree, I can't imagine what has to get into the heads of these kids when they decided to go shoot up their school.

Okay, I have tried not to do this, but I guess I'm going to rant for a second. Why is it that the kids (and people in general) who decide to go do something like this get their name and face plastered all over the media? In my OPINION, the US and news in general needs to put an end to us knowing who does it, they deserve ZERO attention for their actions. I feel like we shouldn't know who the kids that killed 13 people at Columbine are, yet they will have their picture on national news several times.
Sorry to rant, I just can't agree with the media right now.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey guys, I realized it had been a while. Just came by to see how everybody is doing.
I owe you guys a small update and a couple pictures, so in the next week or so I'll pull out some pics. I was realizing lately that it was here I got to know so much about other species of animals that I would have never imagined I would learn. I owe you guys a lot for setting me up for quiz bowl that I have been pretty involved in over the past couple years.
Also, just a hint, I actually got to raise two herd animals (Thunder and Echo) this year during the pandemic.
Hope all is well with everyone.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok guys, guess I'll give you all a brief update. This summer brought me the most difficult group of meat chickens I have ever raised. The chickens did not agree with the food I started them on. You guys all probably understand what it is like, but we lost 6 of our 22 chickens in the first two weeks. I was signing up for fair, with no actual clue if I would actually be able to get two pens of meat birds to fair. Long story short, thanks to Ranch Way, I was able to switch feeds in a moments notice. If it weren't for the nutritionist, I am not sure I would have been able to do it. I knew mid way through, that I had a great group, but I had no clue how good they were. At fair though, my dream came true with that group. It was absolutely amazing to go through that journey with the hardest group of chickens I have ever raised.
Second, I made the decision in September to raise lambs. The timing for getting them came at the best possible time. As the world shut down, I had the barn to get away to. Thunder (pink) and Echo were absolutely amazing to learn from. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to raise those boys.
Hope everyone here is well.
tempImage8A44pi.png
12F9F1CF-DC99-47FE-88C7-F1A403D7FDCD.jpeg
tempImagemVUVa6.png
tempImage7XZS8N.png
My Grand Champion birds

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m glad that you had the barn to go to. I feel the same way, as do probably all of us here. The whole world has gone crazy, but you can find solace with your animals. Well done on the chickens! Congratulations!