Poka_Doodle's journal

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sometime last week I came up with the idea of actually talking with Luke. And because we are younger it is a little different but now after over a year of talking on here we actually spoke and it was amazing, understated.
With the time to give thanks coming up I am thankful for everyone here. In the past year I have been through a lot of good and bad things and everyone here has been there on both occasions, so thank you!

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm overdue for an update. Things have been busy around here. Although ski season has started I haven't been up since thanksgiving.

It's the holidays thoughand I'm not sure any of my family is in the spirit. I've had Christmas music on for a while but it just doesn't feel the same. I'm mostly through the shopping though. Also tomorrow marks the day that our family feared for a cousin's life. It's going on two years since we've spoken of it which is probably good.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
This year is different, very and it's becoming really obvious, unfortunately.
I'm going to start out my post with that simple sentence. And use it to start a post serving for a few I missed.
Skiing has been different this year. Last year I was able to go up skiing nearly every weekend in December, this year I've been on one Sunday for an hour. It is just the feeling of my ski partner who is much more not skiing. And no one else is motivated.
Anyways, it's winter break and that means Christmas has just passed, it was magical. There's something different when the one you are closest to is finally here after four months of waiting. But it's also hard to see him hurt from being hurt, knowing he can't join you on the mountain. Today despite that he was back at the cabin I managed to have an amazing ski day. An older cousin was elsewhere on the mountain but his friends that are good skiers were here. I was able to ski crazy with them, which is more fun then I'm likely to have any other time this season. Also one is basically a cousin and was able to help me with form.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
This update will be different then most. So while skiing I realized something about improving that I think is worth sharing. Instead of trying to be like some pro when you are doing stuff it is better to try and be like someone you do it with. You can see them doing it and try to copy it. Also often they can offer you help. Then when you do it right and they tell you it, it means much, much more.
My example is that my "winter cousin" has been helping me in the moguls with form when skiing. It started with him giving me a simple tip last winter. I've worked in that and a little more since. Then when he came up this year I asked him how it looked. He watched me and said it was good. Him saying that probably meant the most because his is the best of anyone I know, and he was helping me with mine.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
This update will be different then most. So while skiing I realized something about improving that I think is worth sharing. Instead of trying to be like some pro when you are doing stuff it is better to try and be like someone you do it with. You can see them doing it and try to copy it. Also often they can offer you help. Then when you do it right and they tell you it, it means much, much more.
My example is that my "winter cousin" has been helping me in the moguls with form when skiing. It started with him giving me a simple tip last winter. I've worked in that and a little more since. Then when he came up this year I asked him how it looked. He watched me and said it was good. Him saying that probably meant the most because his is the best of anyone I know, and he was helping me with mine.
Back when my wife could ski (meaning before RA) she was a thing to behold on moguls. Actually, it should be worded "around moguls". Her brother took the tops off (and now has bad knees), she just glided down the chutes even on the double diamonds.

She started skiing as a wee tot and she raced. I didn't start until I was an adult. Best I could ever do in moguls was one or two then slide one and that was on the single diamonds. I didn't have the finesse, ability to "disassociate" upper and lower body nor the hip/knee speed to turn the skis fast enough.

She also had a tip about skiing in the woods. Don't look at the trees you DON'T want to hit, look at the space between the trees. Oh, and "you aren't a real skier until you've been upside down in a tree". Glad I never became a real skier!

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah. I don't ski in the trees unless I'm following my cousin.