Poka_Doodle's journal

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Four of my children went through 4-H. They were all County All Stars, one was a State Diamond Star, and all of them were camp counselors, with 3 being head counselor. They showed every kind of livestock, participated in Field Days, Judging Days, Seminars, and did innumerable projects. (The yuonger boys even tried sewing. The baseball PJs DS3 made are being proudly worn by his son now.) They took away so much from the experiences to use in their lives. They are all now in their 40's and 30's. Sadly 4-H and the Fair in our area folded before our youngest (25) got to experience it but she has experienced the work ethic with livestock.

These experiences will stay with you forever. If you have a 4-H record book with photos, treasure it. You can chart your own growth through the years in it. (Our 4-H Books live in a special cupboard and they are first to be rescued in case of fire! LOL)

Congratulations on your growth through 4-H. Depending on the college you choose, FFA is available in colleges with animal husbandry programs. Or consider becoming a 4-H Leader yourself. You can pass on your skills and knowledge to upcoming 4-H youth.
Thank you so much for what you shared. I believe that I do have most of my record book materials saved, somewhere around the house.
As far as what's next with that stuff, there really is no FFA option for me, but I have some other plans in the works to stay involved in a few ways. Now it is my time to go help the next generation, and I really can't stay away from this stuff.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
More stories and pictures to come, but for now I want to share a super special memory of my last night of fair.
I had sold my wether in the auction that evening, and my time in 4h was starting to come down to hours left. I was worried about my ewe with not having her best friend with her. Initially she was fine, but when I came to check on her later, she clearly was upset. Part of me thinks she knew, at the very least she was worried. Fireworks were starting soon, and it was the last time I would watch County Fair fireworks as a 4h member. Knowing how upset my ewe was, I didn’t think she would do well in her pen alone, so I decided to just walk her over with me to watch. I snapped a couple photos of her with the fireworks, but a friend captured the coolest picture ever. Just a girl and her lamb, grieving their friend and sharing their final night together.
I loaded my ewe on somebody else’s trailer the next evening and my time in 4h came to an end, but I’m beyond grateful for every last memory we got, and this one certainly is special.
710C1FC2-F23F-481F-B206-0EFD43486C10.jpeg
B0B1262C-0840-4E69-9A16-6F5745CEDFB7.jpeg
4AC89274-60C2-4877-9DBF-70FB18C8AC0D.jpeg

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey all, just realized it has been forever since I have done a life update.
Not a ton to update on, it feels like a lot of stuff has just been going through the motions every day here.
Right back in August when 4-H ended, I decided it was time I started running again, a couple years ago, I had done some running, but stepped away for a bit. So when 4-H ended, I decided to run again to fill that chunk of time that I wasn't spending with lambs. I ended up running a half marathon a couple months later, and am planning on running a full marathon in the very very near future.
Early January, I got the opportunity to visit my old 4-H lamb and her baby boy, which was super special. I'll attach some pictures because I think it's pretty exciting.
Also, I moved my horse Ticket up with me, and love having an animal around. It feels like combining everything I stay plenty busy, and I love it.
Been super fun seeing where life is taking me.
tempImage2HWVjh.jpg

Someone is going to be a dang good handful if he ends up like his mom :love
8F11F1B2-F3E6-454A-B131-2C57E21FDEDA.jpeg

Love this horse
0607A202-7BEB-4D47-8FEB-ADE1602848D8.jpeg

Bonus pic, I know she's a just a chicken, but I've had this hen for so many years, I specifically visit her when I am home. We shared some pretty fun times together at shows when we were both younger :love

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey all, I do want to start sharing some stories from my 4h showing. Specifically about my lambs.
So many days I got caught up in the day to day of chores and leg washing. This cute moment happened one morning and I’m sure y’all would love it.
436B5084-5DE1-42C9-A853-1043D1A0ABCC.jpeg

It’s like looking through a window- Ewe lamb
73E2F1FC-2A36-4805-84C4-006E036A7DD5.jpeg

“Do these leg wraps make my ears look bigger?” - Ewe lamb