Poka_Doodle's journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys!!!
Been here almost a week and absolutely love it. I never wasn't a goat person, but I am definitely becoming a goat person more and more each day.
Couple pictures just for the fun of it. Learning a ton but got so much to still learn.
Also, I don't know what else to share, but I guess if anyone has questions about how the goat dairy works, feel free to ask.
View attachment 98884
Milking set up
View attachment 98885
Breakfast time!
View attachment 98886
Cuddle puddle
View attachment 98887
*I know I shouldn't be eating my neighbor's hay, but it tastes so much better*- Chardonnay probably
View attachment 98888
The big boy getting his bottle
View attachment 98890
The little baby :love
WOW!!! That's quite a set up!!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
This dairy -- do they sell the milk to a co-op, sell off farm, to a cheese maker, etc? How many goats are milked each day?

I'm getting ready to make some cheese with my goat milk. Need frig room :lol: no big set up here. I'd love to work at something like that. 😁. I enjoy having my private dairy in my backyard.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
This dairy -- do they sell the milk to a co-op, sell off farm, to a cheese maker, etc? How many goats are milked each day?

I'm getting ready to make some cheese with my goat milk. Need frig room :lol: no big set up here. I'd love to work at something like that. 😁. I enjoy having my private dairy in my backyard.
Most of our milk here is used in cheese making, and sold storefront, or used in restaurants and fine dining owned by the same company that owns the dairy. We do use a fair amount of milk for our bottle babies too. Currently we are milking 21-22 goats twice a day. And as you may have seen in the pictures, we can milk six goats at a time. We have one goat left to kid too.
It is definitely quite the set up, and quite a fancy place. A great place to learn from for the summer, because aside from what I have learned here on BYH, I didn't know a ton about dairy goats.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey all, not much of an update, but just worth a brief entry.
I got an alert that I have been on this site for eight years. It feels wild to know I have been here this long. Young me was definitely an interesting kid when she created this account. But I'd like to think that she would be amazed at the woman I have become.
It has been so wonderful chatting with y'all over the years and getting to learn so much here. Thank you everyone for always being so kind and so lovely to learn from.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey all, not much to report in on. Like Bruce said, I did come home about a month and a half ago now. Though I didn't plan on spending the summer at home, I am so grateful I have gotten the opportunity. Still Marathon training, and truly loving running.