Polar Vortex

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Is anybody else being hit by the polar vortex?

Our highs have been at or below freezing all week. It is snowing now and we are expected to get up to 3 inches today. That's here at school. Its been much colder at home.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a different standard of cold here as opposed to where you are at (Idaho I think?):)

But, the high yesterday was in the 70's. The high tomorrow is only going to be in the mid 40's. We are expecting our first hard freeze Friday night with low mid 20's

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't know if I'd call it a polar vortex, but it was 61 just two days ago, and it's 29 right now heading to a low of 24 tonight. I sure hope winter's not as bad as last year was!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
27 here tonight. Tuesday was wearing T-shirt, went to WalMart. When I came out 45 minutes later, the temps had dropped like a rock. BRRRR.....

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
suppose to be 22 here tonite. only Nov. 13th and I'm already tired of the cold..

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Well 3 inches of snow thus far. Another three possible. Snow and up to 1/10 in of ice expected overnight.

Apparently my parents only have 0.25 in. at home....And I live in the valley where it is suppose to be milder weather. o_O

Winter Storm Warning in affect until 11 tomorrow....But on the bright side we'll almost be up to 40 on Tuesday.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Well we have about 6-8 inches of snow. It's coming for you easterners .

kinder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mid. Vermont Is cold early, but nothing like some of you !!! Mid. to upper 30's during the day and mid. to lower 20.s in the weeee hr.s in the AM. My first winter with my herd. Feel sorry for my bucks who keep peeing on them self. I worry about my animals, but my prayers are with those and there animals who have it worse.:hugs

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Usually I hate the cold but it is actually kinda fun out there tonight... brisk cold air... tomorrow am will feel like 17. That is darn cold for our part of NC AND November. Kinda reminds me of home. :)
A little invigorating! Don't mind it for a few days anyway, just PLEASE NO RAIN!
Don't want snow yet... need to pick up poop first. :lol:

Dogs love it :), goats hate it :eek:, and we can not get 5 of the modern game bantams down out of the trees :(. They are 1 lb and hard feathered, not meant for these temps... They are 20 ft up no way to get them hope they don't freeze. :fl

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I fought the same thing last year with my chickens.... not that we usually get that cold in my part of Texas. BUT, we had temps in the low 20's more times than I care to remember last winter. I would go out every evening and pick chickens off the fence and toss 'em in the barn... night after night... Did they ever learn? Nope! Will I do it again this year if needed...nope...maybe... ah gee whiz...probably...