Pole barn for horse with apartment

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
ok we are looking at a new property. My Mom is looking at it with us and our thought is to build a horse barn with an apartment as a MIL quarters? Anyone have any experience with this? Is it cost effective?

rbruno

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think that would somewhat depend on your budget. I have seen some very nice "pole" barns built with offices/living spaces etc. I have also seen "pole" barns that are not that nice. Mine included. I recycled telephone poles and made a nice structure for my horses, but I would not put anyone in it to live. If you wanted to spend the money, I am sure you could have something nice. I think it would also depend on MIL. As you know, no matter how nice the barn, there is plenty of dust and flys and other things associated with horses. Is she willing to deal with all of that?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Put mom out there to live in the barn with the horses... Love it! :hide Just kidding... Like rbruno said above, I think it's all a matter of the quality of the building. At least she'd be close to her animals :D

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My barn is dusty. Every step the horses make sends up a cloud. I wouldn't want to live out there. Your soil might be different and it might not be so dusty. What about a 3 sided shelter for the horses, (can always be added onto later) and put the money in a nice, small building for Mom that she would be comfortable in.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
https://mortonbuildings.com/project/4424

this is something I'm thinking of... Mom's not just getting stuck in a dusty old stall...:confused:

they even make whole houses... becoming more popular. My real estate agent lives in one. If they are done right they can be pretty nice. It's actually looking cheaper to build a barn with apt than put in a modular. though a trailer might be cheaper.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Damn... that's a hell of a lot nicer than a lot of homes... mine included :confused: and a far cry better than any trailer I've ever seen. Any chance you could build it as a duplex with barn(s)? Then you could rent the other side to a horse owner when mom is gone and generate house rent, barn rent, & pasture rent, all at the same time :D

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve seen similar constructions and knew you were thinking a barn that just happened to have a home attached. ;)

I’m glad you are exploring various options. The correct path will be revealed in time.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes I have alot of experience with the building you have chosen. I do heating and cooling in alot of then now days. Last few years they have gotten very popular and with it expensive. They are very nice I would build a house with a pole construction in mind. Also u can heat one with a candle

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have seen some nice Park Model trailers. Of course they are $60,000 and up. I have also seen some gorgeous Tiny Homes at about 380 sq ft. We had a tiny cottage built for $46,000, and it was 680 sq ft. Just take your time looking for options. I think the flies are the biggest yuck about it. The only one I have seen like that was really nice, but the floors in the barn were concrete. I don't know how common that is. The apartment was above the barn. It had central heat and air. I didn't notice a smell.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
People in "the old country" did and still do live above the barn. Keeps the floors warm in the winter ;)

I think the pole barn/duplex is certainly an option as long as the living quarters are well sealed off from the animal quarters. Plus, if you do it that way, you won't have to think about "do we run water and power to the barn to start or do it later" (which becomes later and later and later).