Polled or not Polled

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We purchased 2 bucks a few weeks back. I wanted to get one that was polled. We thought we got one polled and one that wasn't. The breeder called me Friday because she realized we went home with the twin but not the polled one. We are newbies regarding goats so we wouldn't know the difference. I thought I felt a hard nub on Willie's head but didn't think anything about it. He is a cute little guy and is getting settled in. The breeder said she would switch him out.

From your experience with goats, raising and selling, do people want polled goats more than disbudded? Trying to decide if we are going to keep the guy we brought home or trade him out for his brother. Just looking for some opinions...

This is Willie Nelson.

Attachments

• 707C7F88-8F52-40A9-A008-36B35127019C.jpg
    707C7F88-8F52-40A9-A008-36B35127019C.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 8CB8F35F-6409-4DF7-B381-4C9AF0B441C6.jpg
    8CB8F35F-6409-4DF7-B381-4C9AF0B441C6.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 84

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
well willie certainly is a cutie. if you bought him weeks ago he should already have horns sticking thru his hair that you can see. if he is several weeks old you may have lucked out and he's polled too. i'd take him back to the breeder and have her look at him for you. if worse comes to worse and he does have horns then I would trade him back and get the polled buck. i'm a firm believer in having all my goats dehorned. they can be outright destructive with their horns but can also hurt a person by just turning their head or something. horns are about face level with children's faces and hit them in the face and never mean too. hope that helps.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
well willie certainly is a cutie. if you bought him weeks ago he should already have horns sticking thru his hair that you can see. if he is several weeks old you may have lucked out and he's polled too. i'd take him back to the breeder and have her look at him for you. if worse comes to worse and he does have horns then I would trade him back and get the polled buck. i'm a firm believer in having all my goats dehorned. they can be outright destructive with their horns but can also hurt a person by just turning their head or something. horns are about face level with children's faces and hit them in the face and never mean too. hope that helps.

Thanks. He is about 9months old and was disbudded. He was mixed up with his brother.