Pony training

Junior

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey, is there anyone in Victoria, Australia who knows of a good trainer? I've got a pony who needs to go over the basics again but I don't know how to/ Where to start. She's a good pony, just needs to have a bit more training. She was out in the paddock not being ridden for a few years and is a bit overweight and not very fit. At this point I'm just trying to get her to trust me, come up to me when she sees me and do light walks around the paddock while on the lead as well as following me without the lead.

Is this the right way to go about it? I've searched the internet but can't seem to find much to help me.

Thanks in advance

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd start in the round pen like a new colt. Go through the courses as if it has never been worked. It should just go through them faster and you will find (if you can break/train a colt) what someone else did wrong and fix it before you go to working/riding it. Just my 2 cents.

Starting over can get over the bad habits before it can learn to use them and get used to them. (I also train my own and would not let ANYONE train my horse's the basics. The expert level yes but not the basics.

Also a trainer that I like that is from Australia is Clinton Anderson. He is on some cable channels but to get any real content you have to order his videos. That is why I quit watching him before I got rid of cable.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Check your local FB horse groups to find recommended trainers.
If she's fat n out of shape, best to get her slm and ready for the saddle training first, or they may charge you a month's work where all they do is get her thin.
Have you had horses before, trained them or done basic ground work?
If not, may want to get a trainer to do that and teach you along the way.