poo question

kyrose

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello,i have a 10 week old lionhead female.I'm seeing alot of cecotropes droppings in her cage.Does that mean shes not eating them or maybe she's producing to many? Just want to make sure im not doing anything i shouldnt be.My older bunny never has them in her cage,thats why im asking.Thanks for any info.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
I went through the same worry as you are with my boys at that age.

This is some good information that helped me understand.

Treatment of ISC

The treatment of uncomplicated ISC (meaning the cause is primarily an inappropriate diet) is based on converting the rabbit to a healthy diet that is high in indigestible fiber, which normalizes the motility of the GI tract and lower in carbohydrates, which helps normalize the flora in the cecum. A healthy diet for a house rabbit consists of unlimited grass hay as its primary component with additional green foods and limited high fiber/low energy pellets. (Please read our handout Care of Rabbits for details on this diet.) This is not a difficult diet to feed, but it requires a commitment to removing high carbohydrate foods from the diet and never giving them again. If you do choose to slip some high carbohydrate treats to your pet from time to time, it is highly likely that the ISC will return within a short time and you will be cleaning the rabbit and cage all over again. The benefits of a healthy diet are not only getting rid of the ISC, but also improving your rabbit's dental, GI and mental health. Only you have control over the success of this treatment.

*NOTE: Prior to treating your rabbit for ISC, it is advisable to have your veterinarian do a complete physical examination and perform any additional tests that might be needed as described above.

Treatment of ISC

The treatment of ISC is based first on a serious diet restriction to grass hay, which acts to return the GI tract to normal, and secondly a gradual reintroduction of additional foods after normal cecotropes are produced for at least a week. This would mean you are no longer seeing the soft cecotropes in the environment or on the rabbit. You will see the normal round, dry waste droppings and only the occasional formed cecotrope in the litter box or cage floor.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=3012&S=1&SourceID=43
I don't have any problems with it now. Had fecals done at 2-1/2 months. All negative. Only see one every so often.

K

kyrose

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for all that good info.She's still to young for veggies so all she gets is the timothy hay and her pellets from tractor supply.It stinks if i have to change her pellets cause that means i need to change Midnights pellets,which may mess her up.Grrrrr