Poop pile issue

mylilchix

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have 3 llamas ages 9, 2, and 5 months. I think the recent cold, snowy CO weather has confused them. Usually they poop up in the woods away from their shelter, water, and food. All of a sudden they've decided to move their pile to the path between their shelter and water. It's a horrible spot! Every time I'm out there I shovel up the pile, and move it too their original spot. Then I put their food bucket in the path, so they associate that spot with eating. They get done eating, and then poop on the path again. How can I get them to start pooping in the original poop pile again?

Thanks, Sonja

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
That is always an issue for everyone. Can you create an area for them to go near their shelter that isn't as inconvenient for you? If it is cold and snowy, they don't want to travel far to go to the bathroom. Mine poop in the barn when the weather is bad. I have yet to keep from doing this.

mylilchix

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Glad to know I'm not crazy! They poop in their shelter occasionally, too. Their closest pile is about 20 feet up the hill from the shelter. It's not too far away. They seem to like pooping 8 feet outside of the shelter though. I could try putting one on the other side of their home, so their not pooping outside their door.

Thanks, Sonja

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
:lol: Believe me, 20 feet away IS too far when there is bad weather. :p

I would put their poo in the area that is agreeable to you and then somehow block off the area that they have been pooping. I would make it within 5-8 feet of their shelter so they really don't have to go far. Also make sure it is out of the wind because they won't go if they are in the worst of the elements.

Good luck. If it works for you, that is great. It may or may not work. Most of us have learned to live with stuff like that. It is always worth a try though.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
At least llamas will poo in a pile :clap but they will decide where the pile will be :barnie Your path may have to take a detour as they have picked out that new spot. If you figure something that works share it with us .... best of luck :lol:

mylilchix

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I definitely will. Usually they pick good spots. I'm not sure why they chose that one. I'll keep you posted on the poo battle.

MrsCountryChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
mully said:
At least llamas will poo in a pile :clap but they will decide where the pile will be :barnie Your path may have to take a detour as they have picked out that new spot. If you figure something that works share it with us .... best of luck :lol:
:yuckyuck It's VERY True, :) :lol:

mylilchix

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We're still doing battle even though I found a great new spot. :he

Sonja

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
It really is extremely hard to stop them from pooping in a spot that they have decided is it. Most of us just take it in stride now and accept it. You can certainly still try but you may not win this battle.

Mama&thePeeps

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This winter, my boys have decided right in front of the stall gate that I use to come in and out is their new favorite spot.:rolleyes: