Poop question - sorry!

fargosmom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi all! I finally got my first horse after a lifetime of dreaming. He's been at our place for over 6 months and doing great.
But I've noticed in the last few days there aren't as many poo piles as I was used to. 8 a day has been normal, but in the last few days we're down to 6-ish. They all look normal; there's just less piles. Should I be worried? He's eating the same amount and acting normal as far as I can see . . .

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
They often eliminate in same places more than once, if a male. Possibly this is happening? Then, is he drinking same amount?

fargosmom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think he’s not drinking as much. Definitely less poo. Today was almost half of normal. Otherwise he seems himself - good appetite and normal attitude and activity. He has a salt lick and I know he uses that. How concerned should I be?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
How old is the horse? I have an old stallion on senior feed, he poops a lot less than when younger. Mainly due to his feed. It has a good amount of beet pulp in it, produces less poop.

But as long as it looks normal in size, moisture, then not as great a worry. If it gets dry and or non movement, worry. If you changed his feed, or hay, that can change his gut processing of volume. If he shows no abnormal behavior in activity, etc. He's probably fine. If your counts have been in a stall and he's out more, might be more in the field. I don't know where you are but, if cold, add a little warm water to his bucket to encourage drinking...just take the chill off.

Do you ride? How often?

fargosmom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
He’s 16, and nothing has changed except the weather. He is never stalled - has a pretty roomy corral and multiple feeding spots (and a goat to entertain him). It’s tricky to heat his water because we’re solar and have to be careful of our batteries. I’m going to start giving him electrolytes and see if that helps. I don’t sense he’s in danger right now, I’d just like to stay on top of it. I am grateful to hear your instinct that there’s no need for panic 👍🏻 Thanks for all your insight!

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s tricky to heat his water because we’re solar and have to be careful of our batteries.
I don’t know what size water container you have for him, but could you use a 2-3 gallon bucket and add a kettle full of boiling water to it, so that he has the option of drinking some warm(er) water from there, whatever the temperature of his regular water is? You would probably only have to do that once or twice, if it ever came up again that he seemed like he wasn’t drinking enough.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Animals drink less during cold weather so monitoring their water intake is important.