Poopy Butt

Becca'sBunnyBarn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So over the past few months one of my rabbits (a American Fuzzy Lop) has been dealing with poopy butt (I'm not sure if that is the medical term, but you get the picture). I finally gave in and took her to the vet and got her a sanitary clip and some probiotics. Please note that I do not usually take my rabbits to the vet, but in certain cases I will.
The clip and meds helped her, and I got the problem to go away. Or so I thought. It came back, so I cleaned her up and clipped her the best i could myself and gave her more probiotics. Once again, it helped, but not entirely.
Now, not only does she have it, but my AFL buck has it too :he
Has anyone else had this same problem, and if so, what did you do?

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure but sometimes I notice that a few of mine will have too many cecotropes. That is a kinda tar like consistency and smells kinda sour. I read that its a sign of stress or something.
So far it has cleared on its own. It is very hard to clean up off the pen.
Does this sound like what your seeing?
Did the vet tell you what was wrong when you took to vet?

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
You might also try some rolled oats and hay for fiber.
Too much fresh greens will cause it. Mine like the fresh stuff better than dried, but their systems aren't used to it.
If this doesn't apply, could be the medical suggestions listed above.

Becca'sBunnyBarn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Some of my rabbit won't eat hay, (don't ask me why, I have no idea) and these two are some of those. The vet tested the poop, but there was nothing wrong with it. There was a slight urine scald on the skin, so she was more concerned about that. It cleared up though. Yes, I use small doses of goat dewormer. That's what my breeder who I originally got some of my rabbits from told me to use.

Coolup Rabbitry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So over the past few months one of my rabbits (a American Fuzzy Lop) has been dealing with poopy butt (I'm not sure if that is the medical term, but you get the picture). I finally gave in and took her to the vet and got her a sanitary clip and some probiotics. Please note that I do not usually take my rabbits to the vet, but in certain cases I will.
The clip and meds helped her, and I got the problem to go away. Or so I thought. It came back, so I cleaned her up and clipped her the best i could myself and gave her more probiotics. Once again, it helped, but not entirely.
Look into what you are feeding them , especially any new fruit or veg as new foods should be introduced slowly. When diarrhea starts you should swap diet immediately to hay & water only until it clears up. Also organic pure pineapple juice is great for tummy upsets in rabbits whether it's constipation or diarrhea