Poor results after surgical dehorning

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My young goats were surgically dehorned at around two months of age. Im concerned about the area around the outer edge of their horn bases. After I took the gauze off of their head after a few days I noticed the ring around the very base of their horn sites wasn’t flush with the head. To me it looked like the horns had been scooped off but not cleanly. I’ve been watching their heads for scurs. I think only a couple of the sites may possibly have some growth happening. But all of the goats have spots that are not flush as I’m assuming they would have been had they been disbudded at a very early age. None of their heads are growing anything pointed, nor would I be concerned of personal injury if one of them were to head butt me. One or two goats I’m thinking something might have to be done if their horn bases continues to get any bigger. There is curly fur growing and covering their heads. Otherwise I would take pictures. Is there anything I can or should be doing to their little heads, short of monitoring them.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
My young goats were surgically dehorned at around two months of age. Im concerned about the area around the outer edge of their horn bases. After I took the gauze off of their head after a few days I noticed the ring around the very base of their horn sites wasn’t flush with the head. To me it looked like the horns had been scooped off but not cleanly. I’ve been watching their heads for scurs. I think only a couple of the sites may possibly have some growth happening. But all of the goats have spots that are not flush as I’m assuming they would have been had they been disbudded at a very early age. None of their heads are growing anything pointed, nor would I be concerned of personal injury if one of them were to head butt me. One or two goats I’m thinking something might have to be done if their horn bases continues to get any bigger. There is curly fur growing and covering their heads. Otherwise I would take pictures. Is there anything I can or should be doing to their little heads, short of monitoring them.

Dear Carla, i know you have been busy and may not have gotten the sad news that latestarer passed away last
night....there is a tribute page started to share, i am so sorry if you are just reading this now :hugs.......hope your bunnies are ok

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score

Just watch them for growth....

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Dear Carla, i know you have been busy and may not have gotten the sad news that latestarer passed away last
night....there is a tribute page started to share, i am so sorry if you are just reading this now :hugs.......hope your bunnies are ok
Thank you. I did not know that. Honestly I didn’t know much about him other than he had an amazing amount of knowledge, quite practical sense, and his kindness. I don’t even know if he was married. Just knew he had grown children. I will look for his tribute page. Thank you. This news breaks my heart.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you. I did not know that. Honestly I didn’t know much about him other than he had an amazing amount of knowledge, quite practical sense, and his kindness. I don’t even know if he was married. Just knew he had grown children. I will look for his tribute page. Thank you. This news breaks my heart.
I knew it would, everyone has felt the shock and sadness of the loss....:hugs

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
Carla d, the best thing for right now is to just keep an eye on them. and don't look at them everyday, lol. that will drive you nuts and you won't be able to see a noticeable difference. I've had goats surgically dehorned years ago and it takes quite a while to heal.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
"A watched pot never boils"...This is a massively deep wound and can literally take several weeks to completely 100% heal. Let it heal and only look at the progress weekly unless you see signs/ symptoms of infection. Goats are very, very resilient animals so your goat should heal up great. Make sure your goat had a Tetanus vaccine (CD&T) after this procedure and has lots of goat minerals available 24/7 as well as a high protein diet so that the healing of these tissues will be optimal.

teaspoon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
One of my Nigerian bucks was surgically dehorned at 4 months old after an unsuccessful disbudding (all done my the same vet, and the reason I do all disbudding myself now!). Despite surgical dehorning he has scurs growing. They’re small enough that they aren’t a problem except in fall when he battles with his buck friend, then they crack and bleed. So you’re goats could still grow scurs. Personally, I’ve decided to never put one of my goats through that again! Surgery with inadequate pain control, long long recovery, and there’s still scurs. Just glad I found a different goat vet!

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you. When I get more goats I will have the vet disbud them right away. This is just a task that neither my husband or I can see being able to do.

I’d like to believe that my goats had really good pain control. They were completely anesthetized and out cold during their procedure and I was given prescription pain medication for five days and they also had intermittent over the counter pain medications three times a day. They weren’t slowed down in the least. I love my goat vet.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Carla d, the best thing for right now is to just keep an eye on them. and don't look at them everyday, lol. that will drive you nuts and you won't be able to see a noticeable difference.
Very good input!
When we are around animals (or plants) every day, we don't notice the changes, as they take place in such a subtle manner and time scale. I've had calves I lamented slow growth, but a friend could come by after not seeing them for a few weeks and it's..."Wow..those calves have really grown!"