popular dexter crosses

WildHunt

Just born
Reaction score
hey lads and ladies i was curious as to what popular dexter crosses are out there?

a family member offered me the use of their miniature hereford bull for my two dexter cows but having done some research i find it to be concerning. Some saying the head size of the hereford is hard to pass. So now i am curious about your thoughts and experiences with dexter crosses? post pics if you can =]

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Head size is genetic, so you just have to be more careful about what lines to select. It's the same deal with issues with pink-eye and prolapses that some cattlemen have complained about in the past, but has been improved/eradicated in the Hereford breed.

I don't know of any popular crosses, but I would think that certain crosses that have the potential for some good heterosis would be at hand. I'm thinking Angus-Dexter cross, for one. I think I've also heard of a Dexter-Jersey or Dexter-Holstein cross too, but with Holstein the calf would have to come from the Holstein cow, not the Dexter just because of potential for calving issues in the smaller Dexter momma when bred to a Holstein.

But what cross you want to get depends on what you want to achieve: Beef or milk? Angus and Hereford is for more muscle and less milk (generally speaking) hence you're breeding for more of a freezer-type animal, and Jersey and/or Holstein cross is more for more milk.

Latest posts