pork purchase failure...

mtngrl812

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I purchased a "blue butt" that was raised for 4H but didn't make weight to show. This is my first time owning a pig and I never thought the pig would be so friendly. He comes over for belly rubs and will lay his head in my lap a grunt softly as I scratch behind his ears and belly.
Now I do not want to butcher him. Will he be a good pet? Will his temperament change as he ages? If he gets older and mean or just not a pet anymore can he still be butchered?
Anyone have advise or experience with coming to like the pig (Wilbur) enough to want to keep it...

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome! My first question also, is he intact? Most of my pigs are that friendly also but we can't keep them all so we've learned to be happy that they enjoyed life while they were here but they do go in the freezer.

Pigs get huge. And tougher as they get older. If he is not intact he should stay friendly. The meat quality goes downhill after about 300 lbs live weight. They get fatty beyond that weight then as they get older they get tougher.

mtngrl812

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome.
He is not intact. I guess 4H pigs are 'gelded'. He is about 130 pounds and gaining weight, maybe 4 months old??? He is in with a pig close to the same size about a month older. They squabble over feed but seem to do alright otherwise.
PS He is the pig in avatar

mtngrl812

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
yes he is. My neighbor's purchased him when I purchased Wilbur. And the lady has no intention of keeping a pig as a pet when it would taste better in her freezer. lol

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Haha I don't blame her! I mean I know people who have kept pigs as pets. They eat a lot, they get huge (like 1000 lbs is not abnormal). You need really good fencing. Older pigs that are tough are still good for sausage.

Pigs can be so loveable but I won't be keeping one as a pet anytime soon. It's expensive! The only keeper pigs are sows that we breed.

mtngrl812

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
he is just so friendly!! Wags his tail when we come around. I just wasn't expecting a pet friendly critter to eat....

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our meat pig last year was the same. My daughter could sit on his back like a horse! It's easier to eat the mean ones... I get that.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was (in a sense lucky) as our market barrows are jerks. They will bite you for no reason, and not only that, they dont respond to any behavioral reinforcement. You can push them away but those jerks just get more aggressive.