pork purchase failure...

mtngrl812

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The other pig we got is much more stand-off ish, so he isn't going to be an issue to send off.
I had named him Ham Hock, my husband said that wasn't a nice name so he named him Wilbur!! (He was suppose to be the strong one about taking the pig off to the butcher...)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know you are in a dilemma and it isn't funny.

... but I am rolling here. :lol:

I'm a sucker.

There is a huge giant pic on FB that is just hilarious.

Anyway... maybe keep him but even one sign of "not ok behavior" and off to slaughter he goes.

:hide

BTW- I don't even like pigs but come on that avatar is too much!

mtngrl812

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I know you are in a dilemma and it isn't funny.

... but I am rolling here. :lol:

I'm a sucker.

There is a huge giant pic on FB that is just hilarious.

Anyway... maybe keep him but even one sign of "not ok behavior" and off to slaughter he goes.

:hide

BTW- I don't even like pigs but come on that avatar is too much!

I spend my time between embarrassment for liking my "dinner" too much and amazement at how neat an animal he is. I took that pic when I drove up to his pen, that was what he did while squealing in excitement. He is such a cool critter. But you are right, as soon as the not ok behavior shows off he goes...

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pigs move pretty well for food so if you take him out of his fence, bring grain! I wouldn't be eager to take a pig out of their fence but that's me. We move our pig fence frequently so they get fresh grass and brush to eat. They love that but they are always in the fence. There's no recourse with a pig, you can't physically move them and they haven't been trained and bred to cooperate us with animals like horses.

Then again obviously 4H people put pigs on leashes and parade them around in the show ring, so maybe I'm just overly cautious! I also have a kid and 2 dogs (one of whom is bred for boar hunting) running around.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
All of my pigs were stuck trained. Tap them on the shoulder and you could take them anywhere.

I had one pig, she was a great pig, who went jogging with me every morning. She loved it.