Possible Goat sickness/emergency please I need some insight

Ebonythehorse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I dont have much time but basically we got goats about 2 months ago. They are toggenburg does and are Delilah (2 years old) and Ruby (3 years old). They are both pregnant and are due in march. I plan to have them as milk goats They have been doing great. I'm brand new to goats so am nervous now. Today I bought a bucket of water out to fill their bucket and Delilah came over and chugged half the bucket. They had had water it just had a bit of hay in it so I dumped it and refilled it. Then I decided to stay and watch them for a bit, but Delilah seemed to want to be by me. I noticed both goats scratching a bit like they are itchy. I started rubbing and scratching Delilah and she rubbed and pushed into me and stretched out like she liked it. Then she will go stand on a block almost like hunched, and after a while she'll move and go nibble some hay with her sister but then she will come right back and climb up on a block. She seems uncomfortable. Should I take her temperature? Im nervous since I dont want to hurt her, and Ive never taken a goats temp but Ive done horses plenty of times. Is it roughly the same? Help!

Ebonythehorse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here are some pictures

Attachments

• IMG_9643.jpg
    IMG_9643.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 695140738.jpg
    695140738.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 67
  • 695140746.jpg
    695140746.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 695140755.jpg
    695140755.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 695140776.jpg
    695140776.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 64

Ebonythehorse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I seriously am concerned. I took her temp two days ago with help from others and it was 100.3F This morning Ruby our other goat was coughing this morning a bit but then she stopped. Should i have a vet out? they are eating and drinking normally.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
When was last worming and with what?

IF THEY WERE MINE --- I'm thinking I'd give each a strong dose of ivermectin....I've used liquid, orally....or paste for horses. I'd dose at 2x body weight. If better in 3 days, repeat in another 7. NOT a vet, just what I'd do if my girls, judging from your info and no touching your girls. If itchy from mange or lice, the wormer would kill those parasites....if cough from lung worms, it will kill those. That's my thinking.

Now I'd also listen to lungs for any rattling, watch temp.... If at 3 day mark, not better, I'd give penG. If lethargic and off feed now, I would give anyway -- probably add that Pen G shot on first day...wouldn't hurt them, so a precaution. And with a lot of preg goats here, I haven't had any issues with either product that I keep on hand.

I'm just saying how I WOULD TREAT MY OWN if these symptoms presented. Over the years you just get to helping some of the more "everyday" things and hope for best results. Update us on their situation as you see a change. 🤗

I've seen a "down day" from deworming a goat if load was heavy, as the dying worms create a toxin that sometimes a goat will respond to about 24-48 hrs after meds....usually quickly over...like you or I would feel if thinking we were going to get sicky, just careful about movement or food. Then, poof, gone.

Last edited:

Ebonythehorse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
When was last worming and with what? I'm thinking a strong dose of ivermectin....
Back in October Im pretty sure. Her previous owners did it. I also checked her eyelids and they seemed quite pink

Ebonythehorse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
When was last worming and with what?

IF THEY WERE MINE --- I'm thinking I'd give each a strong dose of ivermectin....I've used liquid, orally....or paste for horses. I'd dose at 2x body weight. If better in 3 days, repeat in another 7. NOT a vet, just what I'd do if my girls, judging from your info and no touching your girls. If itchy from mange or lice, the wormer would kill those parasites....if cough from lung worms, it will kill those. That's my thinking.

Now I'd also listen to lungs for any rattling, watch temp.... If at 3 day mark, not better, I'd give penG. If lethargic and off feed now, I would give anyway -- probably add that Pen G shot on first day...wouldn't hurt them, so a precaution. And with a lot of preg goats here, I haven't had any issues with either product that I keep on hand.

I'm just saying how I WOULD TREAT MY OWN if these symptoms presented. Over the years you just get to helping some of the more "everyday" things and hope for best results. Update us on their situation as you see a change. 🤗
Unfortunately I do not know exactly when or with what they were wormed. I have never wormed a goat and feel extremely unprepared now. What brand should I use? I have horses so I have their dewormers, i cant remember the brand off the top of my head, oh wait it may be ivermectin zimectrin gold or something. if needed where would I get PenG? How much and where would I inject it if I am correct in understanding its an injectable? So sorry to be asking a billion questions, I just want to be sure Im doing the right thing.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
My suggestion, since they have never been seen by a vet.....

I would spend the time to figure out if you have a good vet in the area. In some places it is difficult to find a good FARM vet.

IF you can find a good vet,...

Ask for vet recommendations at all feed stores, any place that has farm animal supplies, or sells farm animals, auction houses etc.

If you can find a vet, that sounds good, go ahead and pay for him to come out.

Make sure you have a notebook and pen.

Ask the vet:

To show you and teach you:

-how to draw blood
-How to take a temperature
-How to tell fat/body condition of the goat (if goats are too fat or too skinny)
-How to take a proper fecal sample (to then bring to the vet for them to read, or for you to read at home if you have a microscope)
-how to give a shot

Ask:

-Common parasites in your area, and what wormers work best in your area
-what is the weight of your goats (for proper dosing of wormers and meds)
-are there any poisonous plants in the area that tend to cause issues
- is copper or selenium low in your area, any other mineral issues in the area
-what shots does he recommend, and at what schedule

And... ask him to look over your goats and tell you if he thinks anything is wrong.

If they haven't recently been tested for disease, I would have them tested for CL, CAE, and Johnes.. this requires a blood draw... so this is when he can teach you how.

If you were thinking of disbudding the kids, and don't want to do it yourself... ask him how much he charges, or if he knows of someone in the area with a bunch of goats that might help you.

Also.... now you have a relatioship with a vet... so if you need meds, you might be able to more easily get them from him (but many items you can order online)

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also... if you will be needing to mail order stuff... now is the time to start getting a birthing kit together.

Murphys law.. if you get one together, you will never need it, and that is great! And if you don't prepare... you will need stuff you don't have.....

Ebonythehorse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Also... if you will be needing to mail order stuff... now is the time to start getting a birthing kit together.

Murphys law.. if you get one together, you will never need it, and that is great! And if you don't prepare... you will need stuff you don't have.....
someone once said to get a kid puller or something so I wouldnt ever need it lol, where should I get one? Thanks for your help. Ive heard of a great vet who specializes in goats and pigs I think.