Possible hoof rot. Need advice

Hippie hollow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What is vet wrap. I have something that I used on the chickens but don’t know if it’s tough enough for a girl Is it different than a wrap we woul use on our selves? Should I treat with hoof and heel for a bit before trimming she’s in good pain. Sorry all the questions but we’ve never had hoof problems and I need to leave town for a few days tomorrow afternoon and leaving it in my husbands hands. I can tell she’s in pain. She’s a tough girl... she’s still determined to get around on her own. Just very slow. Anything I can give for pain in meantime?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
First I would restrain her as best you can. Take a bucket of very warm water with a few drops of bleach, a rag, and a brush. Soak one foot at a time while you rub the dirt off the hoof, get between the toes, using the brush if necessary. You will probably need to change the water for each hoof.
Once you can see clearly it will allow you to see any hoof wall separation or if something is stuck in the hoof etc.
Trim if necessary.

Treat the foot if needed.

Is the tenderness on all feet? One foot? Do you have laminitis?

http://kinne.net/laminit.htm

Vet wrap- you can get this at any pharmacy. or walmart or TSC...
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...POGOt5Jeza_nWg6NZTvShFZlTC3qdd7IaAn0-EALw_wcB

Hippie hollow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok first felt inside. Ran my fingers and even paper towel through there and no smell. Her hooves are thick so paper towel got in there better. No smell or moisture or mud.

Hippie hollow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok. Got it washed up and partially clipped... need to get better clippers first thing in the morning. But got some clipped. Can’t see any injuries. Needed some clipping. She pulled away at first but once I got her she was just fine while I worked with it. I didn’t seem to cause her any pain while brushed In the middle got deep. Eventually got impatient which I understand. She worked with me well for a good while. No redness or fluid or smell. But not pain when touching it. So now I’m real confused

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you look at the link? Sometiimes you can have an injury in one of the bones. A hairline fracture or whatever.
Has your vet given or suggested Banamine?

Hippie hollow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My vet retired 2 yrs ago unfortunately. And I’m having really hard time finding another vet in this area I did look at the link and interesting stuff. Thank you. I’m not gonna rule it out but symptoms seem to be pain to touch and hot. She doesn’t have either. Those seem to be symptoms for almost all hoof problems I was looking at. When I felt down her leg when I first saw her limping there was no pain or injury. Maybe where the 2 meet. It’s just strange. Looking more at it tomorrow