Possible pneumonia - urgent!

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Daughter found one of our 6 month old boys being picked on today. Brought him in and he has same symptoms as a guy we lost to pneumonia several years ago. Said he falls and can't get up for a while. Had been pacing the big pasture all day.

Vet is closed so cant get him in until morning. Anything at TSC type store I can start him on tonight? He was a rejected runt so he's had it so rough already. All I have at home is stuff like NutriDrench. Can grab something OTC though.

Thoughts?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
What’s his temp?

Penicillin G procaine is something we always keep on hand along with oxytetracycline.
B complex and probiotics is something you should have on hand also. I’m not saying you should GIVE these things, but keep them on your shelf.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We aren't home yet. Our Daughter let us know over the phone. We have Duramycin. We will take his temp when we get there.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hes about six months. Was the runt of triplets and mom rejected him. A friend brought him to us when he was a couple weeks old and we bottle fed him until weaned.

He's always seemed frail compared to the others. Never did goat parkour, as I call it. But he seemed ok. He and two others his age and two baby sheep are in the nursery together and get along great.

Daughter stopped by today and said his head was caught in the corner of a pasture. She went to get him and found a 3 year old billy picking on him. She got him unstuck and brought him in. Said all he did was pace and at one point fell down and had a hard time getting up.

I took his temp and its 99.1 but wasnt sure how far the therm should be in? I had it about half an inch in? Didnt want to hurt him.

I did 2cc of the duramycin. Do they usually cry after? He acted like it burned. I did SQ not IM since thats what i read on line.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our bathroom is all tile and pretty big. We have a 4' x 8' tile shower. I could put him in there with the heater if you think it would be better? Also wonder if the nonstop pacing is him trying to keep body temp up?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
A little Nutridrench won't hurt and a B shot will help to keep his appetite up. Any of the oxytets will burn whether you give it IM or SQ , so that is normal. Since you said that your daughter found him with his head stuck in the corner and the billy picking on him, I would think he may have strained a muscle or nerve in his neck, plus whatever pounding he took from the billy, may just be causing his balance to be off. If you are going to take him to the vet then make sure you mention all of that. Otherwise I would give him a couple of days to see if his balance gets better.
Agree with@Goat Whisperer; that pneumonia doesn't usually cause them to fall over. But if he has is and then got picked on and possibly beat up a bit, it will aggravate his weaker condition. I think that you shouldn't do anything more tonight, keep him in a small pen where he is out of the wind and well bedded. At 6 months he should not need heat if he has decent body condition and is in where he is protected from the elements.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Non stop pacing may be because he wants out with his buddies...
She said he spent all day pacing the pasture too and the billy was in a different pasture then.

He's always been chubby. All of our goats are. Gums are a little pale but not alarmingly. My concern is the boddy temp at 99.1 which is why I put the heat on. It's probably up to 75 in the bathroom right now (we usually keep the house 60-62°) and hes still pacing. How far in should the thermometer be for temps?

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok temp is 102.0. I googled how far to do thermometer and when done correctly the temp is fine. So relieved but now stumped.

Latest posts