Possible Predators

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Southern: If the dogs have been with the horse all this time and it is just starting, do you still think it could be the dogs? But if it's coyotes why aren't the dogs chasing them off? Do you think the dogs have started biting his legs to get him to run since he won't respond to their barking?

Actually, I have an experience where our own dog started killing our sheep. He was 5 years old and had been with the sheep 3 years. the kills were quick, no leg or flank tears like normal dog kills. We were sure it was coyotes so we got a female guardian dog but the kills kept on. Finally after we had lost 5 pregnant ewes and several lambs over a year I realized it was him when he killed one in an enclosed pen that only he knew the way into. I immediately locked him in the kennel and gave his co-owner 3 weeks to find a new home before I put him down. He was a grand champion and had scheduled breedings, but sheep killing is a death sentence in my book. She placed him with a woman in a city - nowhere near livestock. I told her to warn the new owner not to let him off leash on walks.

Anyone else have an experience like this?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The dogs have tried arousing him

Also while feeding them the dogs were barking and aggrevating them

The land owner said he got his first cut from the dog chasing him,

But as I mentioned the dogs were right there barking and doing all he can to raise Cain

Southern: If the dogs have been with the horse all this time and it is just starting, do you still think it could be the dogs? But if it's coyotes why aren't the dogs chasing them off? Do you think the dogs have started biting his legs to get him to run since he won't respond to their barking?
@Therry and @Ridgetop
This is why I suspect the dogs. What kind of dogs are these?
It appears to be somewhat a progressive issue. The dogs are aggravating, trying to arouse, gave the first cut, barking etc. according to the poster.... Unless I am reading the post wrong (which is quite possible as my brain is a bit off kilter due to some health issues :p).
Dogs can and will escalate a behavior to get a desired result. When something is "fun" to a dog they will continue to push it.
Horses, I am not versed in, but I imagine because they are a flight animal would perhaps not do much to begin with and therefore one could think they are not phased but may very well be ... I just think this is too much of a coincidence to rule out the dogs.
Maybe an inexpensive game cam can shed some light on this.

What are the dogs there for? Are they trained for any purpose?
Again, what breeds? How many?

I agree Ridgetop, if coyotes were around why would the dogs not be driving them off or killing them?

Ridgetop what kind of dog did you have that after 3 years killed sheep? That is absolutely tragic. Both for you and the dog. :hugs

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score

Actually, I have an experience where our own dog started killing our sheep. He was 5 years old and had been with the sheep 3 years. the kills were quick, no leg or flank tears like normal dog kills. We were sure it was coyotes so we got a female guardian dog but the kills kept on. Finally after we had lost 5 pregnant ewes and several lambs over a year I realized it was him when he killed one in an enclosed pen that only he knew the way into. I immediately locked him in the kennel and gave his co-owner 3 weeks to find a new home before I put him down. He was a grand champion and had scheduled breedings, but sheep killing is a death sentence in my book. She placed him with a woman in a city - nowhere near livestock. I told her to warn the new owner not to let him off leash on walks.

Anyone else have an experience like this?

Wow! N well the thing is the dog has always nipped at his hooves every now n then which is why the dog got kicked a couple times

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Therry and @Ridgetop
This is why I suspect the dogs. What kind of dogs are these?
It appears to be somewhat a progressive issue. The dogs are aggravating, trying to arouse, gave the first cut, barking etc. according to the poster.... Unless I am reading the post wrong (which is quite possible as my brain is a bit off kilter due to some health issues :p).
Dogs can and will escalate a behavior to get a desired result. When something is "fun" to a dog they will continue to push it.
Horses, I am not versed in, but I imagine because they are a flight animal would perhaps not do much to begin with and therefore one could think they are not phased but may very well be ... I just think this is too much of a coincidence to rule out the dogs.
Maybe an inexpensive game cam can shed some light on this.

What are the dogs there for? Are they trained for any purpose?
Again, what breeds? How many?

I agree Ridgetop, if coyotes were around why would the dogs not be driving them off or killing them?

Ridgetop what kind of dog did you have that after 3 years killed sheep? That is absolutely tragic. Both for you and the dog. :hugs

You got the points pointed out yes lol, but I don't think you caught my point. The dogs would do all that but without much of a reaction. The land owner said that the dog chased him into the wire which cut him the first time, but since never being bothered by the dogs before, something tells me that he has already been jumpy from something else. I'm not sure how many dogs they have. All are males, 1 is a pure doberman, one is a boxer which is the one who likes to bother my horses, n 2 others are mixed breeds. Sometimes a female pit bull will be there but the boxer is the only one bothering "trying to play chase" with my horses.

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh sorry missed a question n or 2. I don't know why they own them. Maybe protection from strangers or saved them or I'm not sure. No they are not trained for anything specific, just family dogs. They are also inside outside dogs n I think at night they are housed inside but not positive.

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm not saying it isn't the dogs, I just dont think it is as nothing with them has changed through out the years

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Read a few posts up :). I posted same time you did up above

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I believe behavior is escalating and it is driving the horse to run.
I absolutely believe it is the dogs. Every breed you mention has extreme prey drive. The more dogs the more fun the game and it escalates the situation. The more dogs there are it forms a pack and pack like behavior.

I am a trainer (semi-retired)... this is very much on my radar as the dogs.
Why would the owner allow the dogs to nip and harass the horses anyway. Sorry but some animals should not be kept with other animals.

Just because "never before" has been "Never before" doesn't mean it stays that way. Thousands of times I have heard those wonderful words... and then there is the "after" the never before.
The bite, the attack, the escape artist, the attack on another animal, the running away, climbing a fence... the list goes on.

Lets say it isn't the dogs... at the very least all the dogs still need some level of training and should not be allowed to harass the horses.

Latest posts