Possible pregnancy ?

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
i got a Nigerian doe in May, she was dried off right before I got her. She was in a pen with a buck but since she was in milk most of the time her previous owner said she never noticed her to come into heat,
She said since she is Dried off now she should come back into heat. She has been in a pen with my buck since the day I got her. The only time that I saw him trying to breed her was before July 4th. But I have noticed she is carrying all her weight under her belly and her hip bone is showing a lot. Her udder looks the same and I don't see any development. I will try to get some good pictures. Is it possible she just carries her weight low ?

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A doe can come into heat when in milk BTW.

You can send in a blood sample to test for pregnancy. A lot of labs that test for CAE also do test for pregnancy.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Or young could just wait and see.

When mine were around 4 months pregnant, I started feeling the babies move on the RIGHT side. (Rumen is on the left and it moves, so that can get confusing and babies typically hang out on the right) Maybe young can feel them before then, I don't really know.

It is hard to tell by the belly. A not pregnant doe can have a big one, a pregnant one can have a fairly small one.

The udder might not have any drastic changes to it until the end as she has already kidded before.

They do drive you crazy when you don't know!;)

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me for her to have a big belly ealry on, her previous owner says she usually has triplets and I think she said she has had quads before, hoping for all girls again:fl. If she was bred to my buck when I saw them she would only be a month, but they could breed ealrier and I just missed it.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If it has been just a month, she wouldn't be significantly bigger, regardless.

Hope you get a bunch of doelings!

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here is a picture she is usually a very lean doe.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 85

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
She looks like she could very likely be pregnant :clap
Hopefully baby's and lots of girls:fl.

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My luck she would probably have a single buck. But I was wondering I have a lamancha doeling that will turn 1 February 2. She is almost the size of my largest Nigerian doe who is on the tall side. Would this fall be ok to breed her? I plan on breeding her to a Nigerian buck the first time. I wanted to breed her around November. Do you think she would be able to handle it?