Possible purchase or pregnant doe - bottle baby

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well. This was an eventful weekend. DH and I went on vacation thursday. Get a call Friday night that this pregnant doe (now confirmed)delivered 1 kid and died :(.They don't know what happened. When the kid was found she was dry, most likely a few hours old. Mom was already passed. That's the sad news. So we're obviously not buying her anymore. :(

But guess what I'm bottle feeding now? :love we've named her Miracle. What do you guys think? I don't know what dad looked like, and honestly the sellers don't either since mom was around multiple bucks. I think she is beautiful. And under the poor circumstances, she is a miracle. How could I say no when I was offered to take her.

Attachments

• 20170521_154151.jpg
    20170521_154151.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 20170521_151804.jpg
    20170521_151804.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 128

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear about the momma doe! :hit That is heartbreaking. I knew the doe was close, so sad she didn't make it.

Congratulations on your new baby! She is adorable. Right now it's a bit soon to tell what she's crossed with, but her dam has Nubian in her.

Did you give her colostrum? CAE is transmitted through colostrum, so that is something to pay attention to.

Be careful, the bottle baby bug is vicious and addictive! ;)

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear about the momma doe! :hit That is heartbreaking. I knew the doe was close, so sad she didn't make it.

Congratulations on your new baby! She is adorable. Right now it's a bit soon to tell what she's crossed with, but her dam has Nubian in her.

Did you give her colostrum? CAE is transmitted through colostrum, so that is something to pay attention to.

Be careful, the bottle baby bug is vicious and addictive! ;)
I was very sad about the momma too. I knew she was close, just not how close. So unfortunate.

Only thing we were able to give was colostrum replacement from tractor supply. We did get a pint of goats milk from a trusted friend who's dairy goat just had kids a couple weeks ago.

She's taking about 2 oz every 3 hrs right now. Does that sound right for 2 days old? After that I'll go to whole cows milk.

During the day she will stay in the outside birthing pen. Tonight we are going to set her up in our garden bathtub with a blanket.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am so sorry about the momma! :(

Your new little bottle baby is adorable!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Very cute bottle baby! Sorry momma didn't make it. :( I would start mixing the whole cows milk with the goats milk in increasing amounts till it's completely swapped over. Good to change diets slowly. I've only had one kid BB and I just feed her whatever she'll take :hide Down to 3 feedings per day now and she basically empties a 20 oz coke bottle about every other feeding, otherwise she takes between 16-18 oz. She's now 18 days old (~2.5 weeks). She's a standard sized Lamancha goat kid (wow, time flys!).

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was very sad about the momma too. I knew she was close, just not how close. So unfortunate.

Only thing we were able to give was colostrum replacement from tractor supply. We did get a pint of goats milk from a trusted friend who's dairy goat just had kids a couple weeks ago.

She's taking about 2 oz every 3 hrs right now. Does that sound right for 2 days old? After that I'll go to whole cows milk.

During the day she will stay in the outside birthing pen. Tonight we are going to set her up in our garden bathtub with a blanket.
If she is strong I'd start spacing the time further apart and up the milk.
I feed my 2# Nigerians 2oz every few hours (sometimes 3 hours, sometimes 4 hours depending on when the kid is hungry enough)

If it were one of mine I'd be giving 5oz bottles when she asks (4-5x/day) for it, she doesn't need to take the whole thing down if she doesn't want to. If she is consistently take the whole 5 oz down start increasing.
Weigh her weekly to make sure she's gaining well. After the first 2 nights, the kids can sleep through the night as long if you do a late night feeding and early morning feeding.

Unless something is wrong, standard size kids don't need to be fed 'round the clock like itty bitty Nigerian kids.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I fed 4 oZ last night at 12am. She slept through the night. Took another 4 oZ first thing this morning. DH will feed her again at 12. I'll feed her at 5. Then again around 11/12. Should be a good schedule, and I'll keep increasing and weighing her.

Thanks!!!

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Living the hard life today at home with DH while I have to be at the office. :love:lol: for being such a mean looking guy, he's such a sucker for this gal.

Attachments

• received_10209700375452394.jpeg
    received_10209700375452394.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 133