possible sick piglet

chunkydunk

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hey all,
How are yall? Any way heres The problem. My wife just bought her first piglet. A yorkshire.A little gilt. Shes very timid. When she first got here she was fine. Now When she runs she looks like she dragging her back legs.It also looks like she has scours but havent found any in the yard. Can anyone help with this?

chunkydunk

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
ok she is better now. More energy perky and the scours are goin away.

chunkydunk

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She is a yorkshire about 3-4 months.Shes about 40 lbs. We feed her a grower feed plus bread and an occasional potato. Ive given her tetracycline and bounce back electrolytes.Weve been puttin pepto on the bread.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The grower feed should be nutritionally balanced, and you can skip the "treats". Have you wormed her? 40 lbs at 3 months suggests that something is definitely wrong. She should be nearing 100 lbs by now if she's getting a good quality grower feed free choice. I'd guess worms, and possibly a bad infestation of external parasites, but without seeing her or a picture, it's impossible to tell. Try Ivomec. It'll take out any roundworms and external parasites, and if she doesn't have any of them in the first place, it won't hurt her. Should cost about 20 - 30 cents to dose her with Ivomec. Be sure to use the injectable.

chunkydunk

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
no external parasites that i can see. I dont feed free choice. I dont really want them to grow that fast. I use a good grower and I mix other grains.Ive used a wormer just not ivomec.I will try that today

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The main external parasite in hogs is the mange mite. It is a tiny mite that burrows in the skin of pigs, and is therefore invisible.

As to her diet, I cannot understand why you would want her to grow slowly. 40 lbs at 3 - 4 months is way less than half what she should weigh. Most commercially raised pigs are at 240 - 250 lbs at 5 months.

chunkydunk

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
yes i know about the mites. took skin sample and tested it. no mites. These are not being raised commercially. I hate everything about commercial farming.My pigs are fed a very good diet from good feed to treats to weeds and plants from my garden.I only have 2 barrows that are goin to be slaughtered and by the time im ready for them they will be of adequate size.I did treat with ivomec but not happy about it. Ive been using diatomaceous earth. but I do think that wasnt strong enough.Besides the piglet was small when we got her the other week.
she is actually fine now. we treated her with tomatoes and pepto.Shes getting longer and puttin back on a little weight.

koop

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
chunkydunk said:
These are not being raised commercially. I hate everything about commercial farming.My pigs are fed a very good diet from good feed to treats to weeds and plants from my garden.I only have 2 barrows that are goin to be slaughtered and by the time im ready for them they will be of adequate size.Besides the piglet was small when we got her the other week.
she is actually fine now. we treated her with tomatoes and pepto.Shes getting longer and puttin back on a little weight.
If she is going to be used as a farrowing sow I think your doing it the right way. Commercial breeding stock is rasied just like slaughter stock, grown way to fast for the structure = joint issues.

chunkydunk

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok an update. She is doin very well now. Shes still shy but coming around. Shes up to about 60 pounds now. And yes shes goin to be a breedin sow.Shes a full blood yorkshire. She has very nice teats and has a good top and bottom line.Her Dam and sire were very nice in muscle length and all the way around.I do feed enough. My animals dont go hungry and yes everything gets treats. I buy crickets for the chickens and dust them with calcium powder.The geese and turkeys get fresh greens , corn and bugs. I like to be familiar with my animals.

Latest posts