possibly sick buck

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
so one of my newer bucks possibly sick. he doesnt seem to want to drink and didnt greet me at his cage like he always does. when i picked him up he sound like he had some build up of mucus. i have not taken his temp yet. what can i do for him he also the one i breed my daughter's doe to two weeks ago.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does he have a runny nose? Discharge? I had a rabbit with a discharge from her nose for a long time. I was using the VetRx on her nostrils as directed. It wouldn’t clear up. Her chest was clear though. I would definitely give him wetted down dark leafy greens. Like kale. Make sure he doesn’t get dehydrated..get gas, etc. when rabbits stop eating, it’s not good for their disgestion issue. If the greens are wet, it will get him taking in water. You might want to separate him from the other rabbits just in case it’s respiratory. I would start there. See if @Bunnylady will chime in! :)

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why do you think it’s mucous and not gas? If it’s gas, then that’s a totally different issue..and that needs handled right away. Stress can cause them to not eat. I’m pretty sure you just got him, right? So, the change can stress a rabbit. If they stop eating..it stops their digestion. When they get gas..they think they are full and won’t eat. It causes a cycle. If you hold him on your forearm, like a football, and bounce his bumm in your hand, gently, it can relive some gas. Like burping a baby. I keep simethicone drops on hand for if my rabbits show signs of gas. Try to get him moving. That’ll get his bowels going. A runny nose, is one thing, and in my book..not urgent...but a bunny with gas...that can be...not always, but can become a big issue. Try to figure out if it’s mucous or gas with the bouncing??

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I believe we have had them for two or three weeks

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it’s pneumonia or sinus issues. I used the VetRx. It’s supposed to work well. My rabbit ended up having other contagious issue. I would try to separate him. Make sure he’s eating!!