1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. A Thief has been caught!!! - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Possum problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Rammy, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Apr 9, 2018
    Rammy

Rammy Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Seems possums are finding my barn pretty cozy. Ive caught two in my trap this month and didnt even have to use bait.
    Is anyone else having problems with these critters? Ive had to throw out several bales of hay because they have defecated or peed on them.
    Ive put up the barn cats food to deter foraging.
    Is there anything else I could do besides dispatching them with lead poisoning?

HomesteaderWife and CntryBoy777 like this.
  2. Apr 9, 2018
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

3. Apr 9, 2018
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

My female Great Pyrenees takes them as a personal affront and kills them dead. She also hates cats and snakes and kills them too. Maybe you just need a crazy GP.

Edited to add, she pretty much hates anything that isn't chickens, sheep, grand kids and us. I've seen her leap in the air, jaws clicking, snapping at hawks.

4. Apr 9, 2018
    Rammy

Wehner Homestead likes this.
  5. Apr 9, 2018
    Rammy

Id get one but would be worried something would happen to her/him because of previous posting on another thread.
    Would love to have one. Maybe it would eat the predator next door?

Wehner Homestead and Baymule like this.
  6. Apr 9, 2018
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

My female also hates neighbors, probably because the boy that lived behind us at our old house poked sticks through the fence. His elevator didn't go all the way to the top floor. We got onto him for it, but he did it when he thought we weren't looking.

Since moving here, she has settled down a little, but still thinks neighbors have no right to enjoy their own property and don't even think about approaching the fence! LOL

Wehner Homestead and Rammy like this.
  7. Apr 10, 2018
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

We have our share down here too. The one thing that I have found out is, if ya go outside at night and shine a flashlight around ya can look for eye reflection....possums will stand still, I've shot several inside the bird yards....we have ducks and chickens....the ducks will alert if anything strange is in their yard. I am raising a german shepherd pup in hopes of some assistance with them....:)

8. Apr 10, 2018
    Rammy

I have chickens, too. Thats why I trap them and shoot them. They have killed a few and steal the eggs. Plus the pooping and peeing on my good hay. I am not a good shot so doing it in the trap insures I get a good head shot and dont wound them. Or accidently hit someone or someones house while trying to shoot them in the field at night. I have several houses nearby so Im trying to be responsible with the gun.
    I would love to get a LGD but animals in my neighborhood tend to disappear, get wounded, shot, or poisoned.

Rammy

Wehner Homestead and CntryBoy777 like this.
  9. Apr 10, 2018
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

Well we pretty much live in the sticks on 20acres with commercial crop fields all around us, so there isn't too much concern as long as it isn't in the direction of the 1 neighbor or towards the road....tho, there is very little traffic on it at night, I still am cautious about it....:)
    Ya may want to put up some electric wires to help deter the vermin.

10. Apr 10, 2018
    Rammy

I do have hot wire up but its not low enough to deter critters from walking under it. I just consider it target practice. :) Kind of contradictory that I dont mind killing a possum but cant bring myself to butcher a chicken.

Rammy