Post copper deficiency treatment results question

EmilyA

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi! I have a herd of nigerians of which ive had the oldest doe since 2013. I was giving goat mineral, random boluses over the years but not nearly as often as i should have. This year i realized i had a few very deficient does (color, coat, fish tailing and a few starting to loose condition and look awful dispute neg fecal float). I did 5 days of 5 mls replamin in oct followed by once a week for 4 weeks and a copper bolus. Have been doing 5 mls replamin once a month since. I can definitely tell a difference in condition, coat color, fish tails are going away over all. But one of my older does, the ones who i became really concerned with her condition, muscle loss, etc.. in august has lost all hair around her eyes. Shes packed on good weight, her coat is coming in rich and soft with new growth, her gum color is good. The balding is just around the eyes (which i thought her eyes looked slightly puffy a few weeks ago but had no discharge, werent hot, thought it must be my imagination at the time). The skin isnt flakey or inflammed. Just bald. No other goat is showing this or any other skin issue. Could this still be deficiency, more replamin week/another copper bolus? Or should i wait a few weeks and see if its just hair regrowth from prior severe deficiency and treatment? Thanks for the input and advice! We do have some hard water/secondary copper antagonist and they have free choice mineral with 1650ppm copper or higher...feed stores have had empty shelves for months so i buy the best i can at the time but minimum 1650ppm.

EmilyA

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry..cant figure out how to edit...5 days replamin plus in August with a copper bolus at end of 5 days and last copper bolus was end of oct...but once monthly replamin 5 mls...last dec 4th.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Huh... that should be enough copper... BUT she is older so is likely to have more trouble absorbing copper than the younger ones.......

6 of one, half a dozen of the other...

Hard to know which way to jump..

With all the copper has she ever peed out copper/orange?

if not, I would give her another replamin dose.

EmilyA

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Huh... that should be enough copper... BUT she is older so is likely to have more trouble absorbing copper than the younger ones.......

6 of one, half a dozen of the other...

Hard to know which way to jump..

With all the copper has she ever peed out copper/orange?

if not, I would give her another replamin dose.
Thanks for responding. I definitely would have noted orange/brown urine if it she happened to have strange color while urinating in front of me or in bedding in shed. So i havent seen it but im going to try to feed before dark tonight and watch to be sure. I havent noticed any other signs of toxicity...abdomen pain, she has good appetite and energy, normal stools, etc...but most of the toxicity articles i read have been medical published...intentional over dosage over 3 days...and actual goat people accidental overdose of copper sulfate mixture/dead the next morning..so thats what im going on for toxicity. Last 2 copper boluses where not on empty stomachs, so maybe they didnt stay in the rumen also.

Im going to attach some pictures i took quickly today. It shows the balding...looks a bit more scaley in the pictures than in real life...but also shows how her coat is coming in darker but still rough around the spine and older growth areas. But maybe some more knowledgeable eyes have some thoughts. Currently she gets a 1/3 cup of goat grain (since im trying to get her conditon back since august). Shes on a fresh pasture since dec 4th, about 5 acres coastal grasses/pasture weeds sharing with 8 other nigerian does/doelings and 2 doe kids, and the group gets about 2 cups of timothy grass pellets at night in shed...free choice baking soda/loose goat mineral.

EmilyA

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I tried to attach pictures with angles that showed the coat coming in...the sun position wasnt great this time of day.

Attachments

• 20211230_171951.jpg
    20211230_171951.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 20211230_172104.jpg
    20211230_172104.jpg
    590.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 20211230_172403.jpg
    20211230_172403.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 20211230_171553.jpg
    20211230_171553.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 98

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Huh... it does look like copper deficiency,

But odd with the amount of copper you are giving.

Do you know how much copper local goat owners have to feed?

And have you looked closely for any skin condition? Like mange or lice? I don't think that is what it is... but good to cross stuff of the list.

@Mini Horses do you have thoughts?

EmilyA

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ive checked, and checked again...but will a third time. When treating a severe deficiency...would you expect quicker results in coat change specifically? Ive seen a bunch of before/after posts that look way better in a much shorter time frame so i wasnt sure. The first tube of replamin i bought from amazon...thought maybe it was diluted or not stored well. All tubes after i purcased from jeffers.
In my specfic area i dont know any other long time, lots of expierence goat owners...most probably dont give any mineral i did research our water and soil locally....the water is pretty terribly hard for the supplying aquifer...calcium and iron.

Is it possible this is old age related? My oldest doe looks is in better condition but maybe some age better than others?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is it possible this is old age related? My oldest doe looks is in better condition but maybe some age better than others?
Yes... but.....

I wonder if she passed the copper bolus. I would give her one again, and follow the guidelines on this link

The replamin looks good, but isn't really a copper supplement.

When my goats were showing copper issues they improved really quickly after getting a copper bolus.

So.... I am not sure why your doe hasn't improved...unless she maybe passed the bolus.

Also... in my area we are really low in copper AND selenium.

Do you know how your area is for selenium?

EmilyA

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Selenium should be good according to soil data map but i havent sent samples in for testing. Been on my list but havent actually got it done yet.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Selenium should be good according to soil data map but i havent sent samples in for testing. Been on my list but havent actually got it done yet.
If the soil data map says the selenium is good... it probably is....

Makes me think even more that she passed the bolus... sure wish that there was a way to know. :idunno

Latest posts